Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck Thickness

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by iriegnome, Feb 18, 2006.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Ok. I know all about the radius of a neck. I prefer a 10" radius. I am looking for a new 5 string and I want the neck to be more like my MM Sterling. The problem is I cannot find any spec on the neck thickness. Also, since there is no such thing as a Sterling 5'er, I have to look as something different. I do know that Warmoth necks seem a little thick. They list the neck as having a .828 or 21mm thickness. My problem is I do not know if that is thick or not. I cannot seem to find specs on other bass sites. HELP:help:

2. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    The Sterling has an 11" radius - you sure you prefer a 10"?
    http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/specs/instruments_sterling.html
    IIRC, the Sterling has basically the same neck as the Stingray, just with a smaller/lighter body. Why not a Stingray 5, or if money is an issue a SUB 5?

Of course any 5 string neck is going to be wider and so feel different than a 4, so make sure you try one before you buy.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    11" Feels good dont it :)

4. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    My warmoth has a 10" radius and my Fender has a 7.5" radius, but that is not what I wanted this thread to be about. I am looking to figure out a neck thickness. The distance from the top of the fretboard to the back of the neck.

5. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Anyone?

6. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    the easiest way to do this is with a dial caliper. measure from the apex of the fingerboard to the apex of the neck. be careful because you want the reading to be as accurate as possible. Keep in mind that the center of fingerboard is the thickest and if you wander off center, the dial caliper will show. .010" is a big difference when dealing with neck thickness.

7. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Does anyone know what the most common neck thickness are? Fender, Music Man, Ibanez, G&L, etc???

8. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    As for common I can't really tell you. I haven't looked and checked on my basses. It is more about comfort. I shoot for a first fret thickness of about .820 and 12 fret around .890. Of course this varies from customer to customer.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

There must be examples, but I can't think of a company that offers neck thickness data. That's too bad... it's very important to me too, along with string spacing (hard to find hard data on this as well).

That's one reason I love TalkBass: the user comments are incredibly valuable even when the manufacturer does print the specs I want.

10. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Well, I know that Warmoth has a .828 neck thickness. I have not been able to find any others. I do know that people have played my bass say that the neck seems thick, but from the sound of it, it may be rather on the thin side??
    I don't know! That is why I asked!!! :help:

11. Kindness

Kindness

Oct 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Lakland publishes "first fret neck depth" and "twelveth fret neck depth" for their basses on their website. Unfortunately, as you know, without information from other makers, there isn't a lot of context for these numbers.

12. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    LakLand say their necks are .920 at the 12th Fret. Warmoth necks are .828 at the 12th Fret.

13. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Warwick Necks are .960 at the 18th Fret. Even wider than the Lakelands.

14. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    folks are using four words here: Thickness, Depth, Width, and Radius.

In my understanding, I think of 'thickness' and 'depth' as the same thing (depth being the better word)-- but 'width' is comletely different, no? Like the difference between a four and a six string neck... wider to accommodate more strings. The 'radius,' I always thought was the curvature in the fret/fingerboard... you know, flat like a classical guitar, or curved like a double bass.

Can anyone clarify? Thanks

15. Yep. :)

Wider = like a 6-string.
    Radius = the curve on the fretboard. Lower number = more curve
    Thickness/depth = how much neck between your thumb and fingers when you play it.

Anyone know the dimensions for a Roscoe?

16. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    You are correct. It is Depth/Thickness that is what I am looking for. Not width. Width is for the Nut size, not thickness.

17. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I just got an e-mail from Mike Lull... They use a .950 thickness at the 12th Fret...

18. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I just spoke with a Modulus Bass Tech. They do not provide measurements from the top of the Fretboard to the back of the neck. It varies due to the compound radius of the neck and the "D" design of the back of the neck.
    Understandable, but what a bunch for BullSh*t