Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"neck through basses"

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by elmohoof, Oct 25, 2003.

1. elmohoof

elmohoof

Sep 24, 2003
    Alliance, OH
    Are "neck through basses " that much nicer than bolt-ons? Do all bolt-on pretty much play the same? Are the "neck throughs" really worth the extra money? Will I "feel" the difference? Have owned Hagstroms, Gibson EB-3, Fender Jazz, Fender Telecaster, and MM Stingray. Currently using Fender Jazz Bass Plus with Lace Sensor pups and SWR SM-400 and Goliath 4/10/horn cab

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    It all comes down to taste - I've never owned a through neck bass, never had the desire to. All my favourite basses that I've owned or played have been bolt-on, so I guess that construction method works for 'my' sound.

Lots of other people will swear by NeckThrough construction, though the price-hike for neck-through seems to be related to the greater degree of complexity in the building of the instruments rather than any measureable difference in quality...

cheers

Steve
    www.stevelawson.net

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    NTs tend(!) to have more sustain, BOs a more defined attack.

But you can find basses of either category that defy this generalisation.
    It depends on the particular bass. But the body seems to contribute more to the sound with a BO than it does with a NT.

I have a NT which sounds great. Good sustain AND attack.

Check some out to get your own picture. Just make sure you compare similar basses. It's useless to compare a BO Fender Jazz with a NT Ken Smith.