Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck-through has too much resonance?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by arvidgunardi, Sep 30, 2001.

1. I own this Alembic Rouge, and I find it great dont get me wrong....but sometimes, the resonance can be a bit too much. Playing ballad is great, but playing something fast, or slapping, or thumbing can be abit hard.

What do you think?

[​IMG]

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I play a carvin LB75, so i know about the qualities of a neck through. I will say that (youre Alembic) is a georgeous bass for one... anyways, yeah I would say I dont exactly find slapping my carvin to be a very constructive experience. Its fretless, which might contribute to its less than pleasing slap sound, but i would say that the neck through does change the overall sound too. Im basing this notion on having played a few fretless 5's before I bought the carvin... some of which were bolt on. But yes, IMO, a bolt on is better for slapping. but thats just my opinion, im probably not in any way an expert in these things.

3. I've also heard that most slappers prefer bolt-ons with 20-22 frets as opposed to 24 frets.

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I can contribute here from a few vantage points. I've owned several neck thru's, including a Carvin. I also slap often but only when I think it's being done tastefully. I find neck thru's to have a very resonant and highly compressed tone. I 've rarely kept one around for very long and invariably return to some sort of bolt on with no more than 22 frets.

While the sustain of neck thru's is great, (but bolts are good enough for me) the ones I've owned seem to lack the dynamics and life of the bolts I always revert to. Bolt's also have a sort of gritty character I can't seem to hear in NT's. NT's are almost too well balanced, without any surprises. As I said, NT's always sound highly compressed to me and lack a life and snap I hear out of bolt on's.

However, I once owned a Spector NT that sounded incredible all the way around and I wish I would have held on to. If you have it please return it to me...

A beautiful bass you have, nonetheless.

5. It all depends on what you're looking for tonally--if you're doing lots of jackrabbit slapping runs a la Stanley Clarke, a neck-through is probably the way to go because the individual notes won't be drowned out in a flurry of high-frequency transients.

I prefer neck-throughs because of the more uniform feel on all five strings (I'm having one built by Matt Schmill), but YMMV.

6. flipperwhite

flipperwhite

Jul 12, 2001
    usa
    I've been slappin' for quiet a while on Ibanez's bolt on and was not ever happy with the sound,now I have a Spector NS CRFM4 and love it,it might be in the way people slap differently on different bass' but I am very happy with my new wife ahh..........I mean Spector:eek:

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I've played bolt ons and neck thrus and can say that the two best basses I've had for slapping are neck through. All my current basses are NT and I think my 4 string walnut/mahogany Alembic and my 6 string maple/alder Hanewinckel are the best of the bunch for slapping. My cocobolo/mahogany 5 string is still pretty decent at it but has a bit of the resonance issue Arvidgunardi refers to. Makes me tighten up my muting technique.

The bolt ons that I've had include a Music Man Sabre,which I'd place 3rd on my slap list and a Fender Jazz that's been gone so long I don't remember what I did or didn't like about it. Also a Ken Smith Burner. That one was so-so for slapping.

The 6 string NT has lighter gauge strings than all the others. I think that's what gives it the punch and pop that it has. If I put lighter gauge strings on my 4 string it would probably be a real slap monster.

Peace,

James

8. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    It's kinda funny....I'd been slappin' away on 24 fret basses for a while before somebody told me that 21 & 22 fret basses were better for it. The only explanation I was given is that it allows you to thump at the base of the neck and get a finger under the D & G strings for popping without slamming a knuckle off of the neck pickup.

Well, I just thump right at the 21st fret and have no problem getting under the D, G, or even C for that matter. Even with fairly low action.

What are other reasons for less than 24 frets?:confused:

Peace,

James

9. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I have no problem slapping on a bass with 24 frets. Personally, I really just don't have a use for 24 frets. So, I go with the stumps...

10. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    One thing to keep in mind is that not everyone likes the same slap sound. A lot of folks say that the musicman stingray is a great slap bass but i personally hate the way it sounds, slapped or fingerstyle. I slap never but if i did it would be on a bolt-on.

11. My Brubakers both have 24 frets, but the way they're designed, it's nearly impossible to reach them unless you do a sort of up URB D-position kind of thing. For my next one (that was completed on Friday!!), I spec'ed 22 frets.

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Less than 24 frets? The only reason I'd buy a bass with less than 24 frets is because it might happen to be a bass I like that happens to have less than 24 frets;) j/k

My Spector is NT and has 24 frets. My MIM Jazz is bolt on and has 21 frets. There's a world and a half in tone difference (duh!!). I happen to love my Spector and play the Fender far less.

I, for one, do find that NT's have a more balanced and refined sound. I happen to like that sound. It's a versatile bass and can do anything I want it to. Plain and simple.