1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck through info needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve2, Mar 26, 2006.

1. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    Just wondering what advantages or disadvantages neck through basses have over bolt on. Thanks for any info,

steve

2. There are three things that come to mind when comparing through-neck to bolt-on:

1. More sustain with the through neck. Pluck a note and listen how long it rings.
    2. More clarity from note to note on a through neck.
    3. Through necks have a natural compression instead of the wider variance in loudness as with a bolt-on.

These are just general comments mind you. It's best to play both types of neck configurations and see which one feels and sounds right to you. It's not fair to say that one is "better" than the other. Something else to note that through-neck guitars/basses tend to be heavier than bolt-ons. This may or may not be a concern.

As for my preference, I like both. Each design has it place. For ringing sustain, I go for the through-neck. For a thumpy sound (quicker decay on the notes), I go for the bolt-on.

Paul Mac