1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck Through question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BassMan257, Apr 14, 2006.

1. when making a neck through bass, should the grain in the neck be going a certan direction? like... in diagonally? or something?

I was just wondering...

Cause strangely enough, it might be easyer for me to get materials to make a neck through... wich is really wierd... but makes sense, seeing as the local shops supply long pieces of thin woods.... and not much wide wood at all...

thanks for the help...

2. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    in a neck thru, you want grain orientation to be just like you'd have it if you were doing a multi-lam bolt-on. optimally, this would be with everything running in a quartersawn orientation the length of the neck.

all the best,

R

3. man... what does quartersawn mean? that would clear things up a little..

and just the length of the neck? or all the way through the body?

4. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    quartersawn is a reference for how the wood grain axis is orientated in relation to the cut from the tree.

A typical Fender one-piece neck is flat sawn - all of the growth rings are parallel to the fretboard. A quartersawn neck will have all of the growth rings prependicular to the fretboard.

a neck thru utilizes the same board for the entire length of the neck and body. so yes, all the way through the body.

all the best,

R

5. Doh! i totally just rememberd what it was anyways..

but, just to clear things up completely... the whole body doesnt need to be, just the "neck" part... or the neck and the stripes...

thanks by the way..

6. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    i like to have all my wood that i use in instruments to be quartersawn