Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck-through questions...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by mattwells, May 5, 2003.

1. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    I hope I am not abusing the guest luthiers...but this is my second question in one day. In the previous one I had asked about hardware for a Warwick (since I thought I was getting a body), but I lost the auction and am now thinking about the possibility of making my own bass (reading things on this forum have started the gears turning). I have mild woodworking abilities so I do not think the body will be a problem and I know a local luthier that will be of great assistance (I believe), but I do not want to impose on him (having him help me do stuff to a neck) and was wondering where I could get a prefabricated neck for a neck-through (by prefabricated, I mean that all I need to do is minor shaping around the body and put some sort of finish on it)? I have e-mailed a couple of places, but they did not do neck-throughs.

Again, hope I am not abusing you guys, and thanks for all the input!

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    carvins sells a prefab neck thru neck. check their website.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I believe AllParts even sells them now.

4. Don't rule out making your own. I did that for the bass I'm making. Although not a neck-thru I just cut some inch wide strips of Maple from a 3/4" board , some more strips from a wenge board 1/4" thick and layed them all side by side and glued them up. I used a scarf joint to get the headstock angle. You could make your strips wider to get the body thickness and have enough there to cut the headstock angle if that's what your after. It's a little bit more work but you might find it pretty rewarding.

BT

5. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Making the neck is not difficult. As long as you are pre-cautious and patient. With exception of the peghead joint, it may even be easier than the body.

However, make sure your neck will be really stiff, and lightweight.

6. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    And shaping the neck and getting the frets & fingerboard radiused and level.

I think the neck really is harder, but I agree with the sentiment. Building the neck can be enjoyable and rewarding. Either way, people who make a bass with a prefab neck usually end up making at least one more isntrument with their own neck.

7. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Shaping? No prob!
    Fingerboard radius and level? Just do it slowly and with precision.
    Frets? They never come in position, however hard you try, so why bother;) No, I go fret free:D

But you are right FBB, the fingerboard does demand precision, care and above all, patience.
    And reward is proportional to input.