1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck-through sources

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by incubus2432, Dec 26, 2006.

1. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I'm in the planning stages for a bass build project and want it to be neck through. I really have no desire to build the neck so I'm looking for sources. I know I can get a neck-through neck from Carvin but was lokking for other options. Thanks in advance.

2. are you saying you want a pre-made neck for a nt bass? because carvin is the only place I know that will do that.

3. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Yes.....that's what I'm looking for. Too bad they are the only source.

4. Wademeister63

Wademeister63

Aug 30, 2004
    Denton Tx
    Why too bad? I built my first guitar using a Carvin neck and after 23 years it's still great. Don't they still make good stuff?

5. I'm with you wademeister. I bought a Carvin neck-through 7 string neck a little more than a year ago and haven't had any problems. I bought their pickups and stuff too, they make a good product!

6. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    +1

I have 4 carvin's and love their necks. Excellent quality.

You also can customize that neck just like buying a Bass. Two free options are no dot inlays on the fretboard (just on the sides), and rosewood FB.

You can also get bird'seye maple or regular maple FB.

Call em 1-800-854-2235

Regards,

Mike

Give them a call and

7. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  8. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I just ordered my Carvin 5-string thru-neck, ebony board, stainless steel frets for only $40 extra, no dots or inlays, blank headstock, and PLENTY of extra wood at the end to glue the body to. Helluva $300 Christmas gift! I am uber GEEEEKED to make some sawdust this week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One little nick that'll get filled up with glue anyways, shouldn't have been clumsy...
    [​IMG]

I can't wait to dye this ebony jet black with leather dye. I want it superblack! Blacker than the great abyss!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see I'm gonna have to retrace my pattern to make the horns merge with the neck smoothly, then cut back to give it a ton of relief gently...
    [​IMG]

But this Carvin neck is totally awesome. NO knots or spots on the back of the neck, NO issues with the frets, hell, they're dressed better than anything gui****ed Center has in their stores!

9. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Hmmmmm.....well maybe I've been to hasty. Part of the reason I dismissed them was that I briefly owned an older Carvin bass (never knew the model) and the neck constantly needed tweaking so I ditched it. I guess it left a bad taste in my mouth. The construction looks good now so maybe mine was before the strengthening rods....who knows?!?!? I was also dead set on a birdseye maple fretboard which didn't seem to be available according to the website. A brief phone call cleared it up for me so now all I have to do is decide on what all I want and actually order it. Thanks for convincing me to take another look.....besides it doesn't seem as though there are any other options. :D

10. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Carvin will also let you order the blanks with multi-lams like walnut or koa and maple. So if you dig the stripey look . . .

11. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Yeah the multi-laminated necks will also resist twisting from aging or humidity damage, but they are a very expensive option. It totally depends on how perfect of an instrument you want to make. Me, I'm satisfied with one piece. My other three basses are doing just fine and aren't bugging me at all. I'm going with this Carvin cuz how closely it matches my Ibanez necks. I like em thin and narrow, like my women. ;)

And don't be afraid to ask for the stainless steel frets! Only a $40 option and you'll never have to worry about replacing worn out frets. They were dressed so perfectly and comfy, I love it.