1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

neck through tone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guamaniantree, Oct 3, 2008.

1. dumb question, but is a neck through bass's tone derived more from the neck's woods rather than the body's/wings' woods?(excluding pickups, electronics, and strings)
    for example, if i want a neck through bass to mainly have the tones of koa, but want to add the snappiness of maple, do i have a koa neck w/a maple body or a maple neck w/a koa body?

2. bassplayertom77

bassplayertom77

Sep 24, 2008
    Not a dumb question at all. It's the sum of all the parts that will make up the overall tone. The best way to find out is to let your ears give you the answer.

3. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Hmm.. good question. I would say that the neck's woods make up an incrementally larger portion of the tone..?

4. If the neck, pups and bridge are on 1 piece of wood, that tone will predominate. In your example, if you want koa tone w/the snapiness of maple, you'd need to put a maple top on the koa body segment (like a Les Paul).