Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck-through vs. bolt-on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Nov 15, 2000.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi.

Something i like to do is bend the bass neck to create a Leslie speaker effect with harmonics, just like Jaco did (i'm not a Jaco, of course!). I notice that my Carvin (neck-through) is less responsive to this than my stolen Washburn (bolt-on). Is this a normal difference between the necks? Thank you.

2. Steve S

Steve S

Jul 26, 2000
    It has been for me.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The bolt-on will probably flex more than the neck through, which is one continuous length of wood.

4. Neckthru's are almost always made of laminates (usually 5 to 9) and are inherently stiffer than bolt ons which are mostly 1 piece, though some are 3 piece, and some have graphite stiffening bars. Fender Jazz basses were notorious for having rubber-band necks. A luthier told me that when Jaco became popular, neck repairs went up like crazy!

5. noise

noise Guest

Oct 23, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    And I was just thinking myself; neck bending sounds like a awfully dangerous practice! Assuming that you don't outright break the neck, aren't you still doing some damage to the bass?

--noise

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

If you're careful you won't damage the bass, but I do mean careful!

I've done this for years with my Peavey Foundation and my Ibanez 6, but am a little reluctant to try it with my Pedulla.

7. how funny i have done it on my peavy and on my aria but have always passed on doing it to my pedulla too, the temptation has been there but i don't think i could handle a bad outcome.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Exactly, gruffpuppy. This bass is worth more than my Peavey and my Ibanez combined, and is my pride and joy(until I get a PentaBuzz!:D;)) and I would die if something happened to it through my own stupidity.