Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck-through vs. bolt sixers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snarf, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I've heard that bolt-on six string necks are usually unstable compared to neck-throughs. Is this true? Brand I'm looking at is Brice Z series, if that makes any difference.

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I can't comment on Brice specifically, but this is one of the issues with lower priced instruments. I have a Ken Smith 6 bolt on that is just as stable as my Tobias neck thru. With the extra two strings there is more tension on the neck and little inconsistencies that may be OK with a 4 string may be critical with a 6 string.

Neck pockets/joints on a well built instrument be it 4, 5, 6 or whatever tend to be more precise create a better playing instrument. If the joint is not tight you may experience tuning problems or even truss rod issues. If you feel that this problem exist after buying the instrument, take it to a tech who can fix this problem. Even if it is unstable at purchase, corrections could be made to stabilize the neck.

The biggest difference I have noticed between bolt-on and neck thru is tone. A bolt on tends to have more attack than a neck-thru. Neck thrus tend to have a smooth rounder tone. Of course this varies greatly with wood choices etc.

I tried not to make this too long of an answer :oops:

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I see no reason why that should be true, and IME it's not. Everything depends on who's making the bass and what kind of materials they use.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I actually know of a luthier who won't make bolt-on sixes because he believes they're not stable enough.

I personally don't see why a well-made one wouldn't be just as stable. A lot of ERBs are made bolt-on just in case their is an issue with the neck in the future.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    +1

I don't think necks become unstable just because there are two strings more - or one string more.

For example, I rarely have to adjust the truss-rod on my 6. Actually, it was over a year ago that I adjusted it.