1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck throughs and bookmatch to center

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Lonnybass, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Hi ya'll-

I'm gearing up on a new bass and I'm curious to hear what workflows and processes have succeeded (and what didn't!) for bookmatching an exotic top over an underlying neck through core. A few past threads have turned up some decent info and a couple of explanatory photos, but not as comprehensive as I had hoped. So let's see'em!

Lonnybass

2. Never tried one myself, but I would imagine you just rout away the thickness of the new top on the neck blank. You should be able to make a nice little jig to do it well. I would suggest doing it before the fingerboard and wings are glued on though.
    Personally if I'm doing a neck through I want it to show. ;)
    Good luck,
    Dirk

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Yep. Just cut away the neck material:

Picture016.jpg

And carefully cut the top to fit around the neck:

Picture018.jpg

4. Rob17

Rob17 Inactive

Aug 28, 2009
    Holland
    That will make one very nice warlock.

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Mikeys suggestion is probably the most straightforward approach, and if done properly, will look stellar. If you have the tools, the cleanest application is to cut a fitted rabbit into the central core the thickness of the top and recess the top into the neck section below where the fretboard crosses the body plane.