1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck-throughs less prone to dead spots?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spc, Apr 22, 2006.

1. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Hello,

Wondering about bolt-on vs. neck-through with regards to dead spots...

Thoughts?

shawn

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Eh, perhaps, yes. But I think a well built bolt on is just as reliable. Also, if you get a neck through and it does indeed have a dead spot, you are more screwed than if it were a bolt on.

3. high mileage

high mileage

Apr 17, 2006
    Rockford IL
    Good bolt-ons won't have a problem, especially the ones with graphite reinforcement - or the all graphite necks.

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Well, that's just it, I have a "good" bolt-on (Lakland USA JO) that i love, but the D on the G string (7th fret, which I understand is a "typical" problem area on a fender style jazz) is definitely weak. Now, I realize I'm being very nit-picky (wish I could afford a fretted JO), and it's not so much that I plan on getting rid of the bass (I love it), but it's noticeable. I'm bringing it in tomorrow for a set-up, so I'll see if that helps, could be the old strings, etc...

I was just wondering in general, all things being equal, are neck-throughs less apt to have a dead spot?

5. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    IMO, no. Any bass can have deadspots. I've even heard of graphite necked basses with deadspots. Its all about resonance, and its complex.

6. My Carvin Icon is neck through and has a bit of a dead spot in the dead spot zone (nothing serious). It also has graphite reinforcement. It seems to be a fact of life, so unless it's really glaringly obvious it's nothing to worry about.

7. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    A USA made bass like a Lakland is not a "good" bass. If you consider a $1500+ USA-made bass a "good" bass than your standards are too high. You might just be nit picky. Give me the bass and I'll tell you. ;)

-Eric.

8. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    My experience is that neck-thrus are less prone to dead spots -- which is one reason I prefer them. Bolt-on (including very expensive ones) usually have more pronounced dead spots with or without carbon stuff. IMO, of course.

This is for 34-inch scale basses. I don't have any experience (to speak of) withn 35s (or 32 or 36 for that matter).

9. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Eric,
    Thanks for the offer, if I send it to you, you'll let me know if I'm being picky? ;)

Like I said, I love the bass, but I was thinking of having something made somewhere far down the line, and I was brainstorming...

thanks all...

10. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    they all have potential for dead spots. i once had a graphite neck bass that had a dead spot. NT, BO, whatever. it seems to happen in every configuration.