Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck thru for $2k

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doodles, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Doodles

Doodles

Sep 20, 2005
    Hi
    As I mentioned in a previous thread, I am in the market for a quality 4 string.

I am tempted by the Yamaha BB2004.....and at around $1000 brand new, it looks like good value.

I am wondering if there are other makes that I should consider, up to my price limit of $2k

I notice Stambaugh basses are reasonably priced...any idea on build time?.....or if they crop up used?

My experience has been mainly with graphite necked basses.
    I am looking to go to a wooden (thru ) neck.
    I need a versatile bass to play several styles of music. A thick, fat and clear tone that can be punchy or smooth when needed.

Any ideas on other makes worth considering would be appreciated.....also anybody got any experience of the Yamaha BB2004.

Thanks all ;)

2. apollo11

apollo11

Aug 19, 2004
    New York
    Buy a neck-through, brand new and American made, for $1000, and save half of your stash.......buy a Ric!!!

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Apollo beat me to it. I read your post, and instantly thought, he's describing a Rickenbacker!

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Brian at the Low End has a nice Ibanez Musician for about $550, which is a great time tested neck through design. I'd choose it over the Yamaha. Totally different beast from a Rick.

5. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Used Yamaha TRB-IIP or JM, alternativley, used Warwick Streamer Stage I. Just a few ideas, both very nice basses having played them both (they only make the TRB in 5 or 6 string though fyi). Those would be my two recommendations, Rick is also an option of course.

6. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Wasn't your budget $1000 earlier today? I wouldn't suggest a Musician if you have $2k to spend.

7. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Another vote for a Rick! The newer 4003 is a much more versatile instrument than the older ones, not that they weren't versatile, but you can get a wide variety of tones switching between the three switch positions. $1050 or so shipped from one of the on-line retailers for a hand made American neck-through.

8. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    yeap!
    euro or us or canada :D *hint2*

9. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    In addition to those mentioned above, a Peavey Cirrus comes to mind...... just picked one up myself....

10. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Forgot that one, good point!

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Another vote for the Cirrus. Great basses.

12. lame(B)ass

lame(B)ass

Jun 18, 2004
    Slovakia
    Peavey Cirrus - safe bet. :)

13. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    Stambaughs are fantastic.
    Mine took 5 months from down payment to delivery but alot of the wait time was with my Aero's. It was worth the wait on all accounts.
    I've watched multiple internet sites for the past couple of years and I would say used Stambaughs are uncommon. That's just my experience.
    If you want a great price and a ton of custom options on a high quality instrument give him a call.

Good luck!
    Chad

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

And another vote for the Cirrus.

[​IMG]

15. Doodles

Doodles

Sep 20, 2005
    No, my budget always was US$2000.....I am considering the Yamaha BB2004 at US$1000, but I don't mind spending $2k on the right bass, if its a good deal.

Thanks for the suggestions ;)

16. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Carvin LB70.

17. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    The Czech Spectors are nice.

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    For $2K, you could buy a phenomenally beautiful Carvin. Figured AAAA top, koa, maple, walnut, whatever, with lots of extras.

Carvin topwoods

19. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    thats a good looking bass, Jeff!

20. Doodles

Doodles

Sep 20, 2005
    So suggestions...Ric, Carvin, Peavey Cirrus, Yamaha......

I only have experience with Yamaha out of these.

I like the look of the Cirrus....what should I be paying for a used mint one? The reviews on these seem to be excellent.

I also saw a nice Pedulla MVP for around US$1500.....any thoughts on this

Thanks