1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck-thru Jazz bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 95JettaCity, Apr 11, 2006.

1. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Ok first of all, I PROMISE I searched for this... but I found nothing.

Why have I never seen, or never remember seeing, a neck-thru jazz bass. Now I'm sure they do exist, I just have yet to see one. I'm always in search for a warmer sound in a jazz and a neck-thru should surely help with that.

I'm almost positive that custom luthiers make a neck-thru jazz, even though I haven't seen one, but what about a production bass from a manufacturer?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I depends on what you are willing to call a jazz bass.

There are plenty of makers at various price points out there that have a neckthrough bass with a duel singlecoil configuration.

Carvin
    Ken Smith
    Warwick
    Pedulla

to name just a few.

That being said, and "warmth" being one of those interestingly ambiguous words that we love to use when talking tone, I don't see how neckthrough is the answer. IME, neckthrough tends to solidify the fundamental, add clarity and dampen certain overtones. None of these are characteristics I would associate with "warmth."

3. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    You're right, warmth is something we can all define in different ways. And you mentioning clarity is one of my things I clasify under warmth. And yeah I know about all the "almost" jazz basses. What I'm looking for is an actual JAZZ bass (fender style, 2 j pu's).

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I dont care for neckthru's. I prefer a bolt on bass. Better tone for me

Rob

5. To me, clarity & warmth are at nearly opposite ends of the scale(if there is such a thing). I'm sure Chris Stambaugh could build you a neck-through jazz-style bass, but he would very likely discuss at length the sound you're after before settling on a firm plan.

6. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Tell ya what... I'll just make this a simple answer kinda thing... Have there been any neck-thru jazz basses manufactured in some what of a mass production... Basically anything not crafted by a one-off luthier?

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA

I don't think so. At least nothing easily available.

8. A friend of mine once had a Hoyer(German)Telecaster-type g****r; it was neck-through, & I believe it was a production model. I realize that's nowhere near what you're looking for, but it's possible they did the same thing w/a Jazz-style bass. This was in the mid-to-late 80s.

9. I think TB user Navybass will build you a neck through jazz style bass if you want.

10. Yeah, Carvin LB with JJ pups.

11. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
  12. Fodera also makes NT emperors, so they definitely try to have it both ways.

On a similar note, one of the coolest strats I've seen is a late-90's fender custom shop neck-through. That's right: a neck through Strat. Almost seems wrong...

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  14. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Sei have built at least 2 that I know of - a 6 and a 5. This 5 has wide pick-ups though... And these are about as hand made as they come:

http://www.seibass.com/jazz5sbs.html

I don't think that a through neck "Jazz" bass has ever been mass produced. Most people who want a Jazz, want a bolt-on and those who want a through neck look at more exotic basses.
    Matt

15. hmmm, could be interesting, an actual fender J shape with neck through....all the characteristics of a J with the sound and feeling of neck through, never heard of a very mass produced one though

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I know Alembic did a couple of J basses, but I can't recall if they were NT or not.

17. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    they were neck thru. I think they were Europa's IIRC. I love neck thrus but I thought that part of the sound of Fender style basses was due to their bolt-on necks. Perhaps that is the reason (as well as cost to manufacture) that Jazz neck thrus have never been widely offered.

18. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I think this is a great question and one that I have been thinking about for years! I love Fender style and neck-thru tone. I've secretly longed for Sadowsky to make a neck-thru "vintage" jazzer. Mmmm.

If one has the money, I'm sure there are LOTS of shops that would make one. I'd bet Jackson could make a pretty sweet one -- now that they're a division of Fender! Maybe even be allowed to use the "correct" headstock. Actually, I'll bet the Fender Custom Shop would build one if you gave them a couple of bars of gold bullion.

But money always seems to be an issue. I wonder why???

In any case, good luck! I'll be following this thread closely.

19. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Hey guys!
    Thanks for all the great responses! I have wondered for years why this was never brought up and I can see I'm not the only one who was interested. Like many of you have said... I love the jazz bass feel and looks, and I love the sound that comes from a neck-thru. Let's start a petition to have one made just for us!

20. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA