Neck Thru Stripes - Hate em or Love em?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by weeding, Oct 7, 2005.

Neck thru stripes - your opinion

Poll closed Oct 14, 2005.
  1. Dislike

26 vote(s)
  2. Like

86 vote(s)
  3. The Hungarian bongo bongo tree of indifference

22 vote(s)
  1. weeding

May 17, 2005
    I notice that almost all neck thru basses have stripes on them (you know the ones I'm talking about). Now maybe it's just me, but I dislike them very much, and I think they ruin the flow of a basses body. But hey, it's just my opinion. So, I'm wondering what everone else out there thinks...
  2. dbaser

Jan 22, 2005
    Mobile, AL
    I like them.. but I have seen some that are gawd awful fugly...

I think mine is rather sexy tho! :)

Attached Files:

3. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    i like them :)
  4. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I'm a non botique bass guy, one bolt on and one neck through, but, I think they look pretty neat!
  5. I like 'em, my BB looks pretty good with them I reckon.

6. Like 'em, but only if they're not too wide and/or colourful. I can appreciate the workmanship, but it's not 'me'. My Alembic has a 3-piece maple neck without laminates, my Benavente has a 7-piece maple/ebony neck with 3 very thin ebony stripes. Very classy... :)
  7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    The only kind I like are the way Warwick does the Thumb & Streamer. That's kind of neat.
  8. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I miss the walnut stripe that went down the center of a Rickenbacker.
  9. So long as the neck plays well, I'm completely indifferent.
  10. mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    I definately like them although I prefer the way Alembic does their bookmatch to center. If it's a choice between stripes or no stripes. I'll go with the stripes. But if it's a choice of stripes or more top wood. I'll take the top wood anyday.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

12. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Like them and have examples to prove it courtesy of a Mr. Jerzy Drozd:

13. Tho I hold no deep-seated hatred for the thru-body multi-lam look as described, I rekon I fall into the "definitely not for me" category...I just don't like basses (or guitars or drums, etc. for that matter) to be too "dressy".

I like interesting looking furniture, but I like more humble (yet attractive) instruments. Give me a pleasing solid color scheme and nice bling hardware (no gold plate!), maybe some nice moto blocks on the f.b. and I'm usually a pretty happy camper.
  14. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Generally dislike, but there are exceptions - mostly when the neck/stringer color doesn't stray too far from the "body" color. Too much variance (like Carvin's Walnut wings and maple neck) throws off the "balance" for me.

But hey, you're talking to a guy who can talk for 15 minutes about his theory on how a matching headstock can visually "tie together" a bass based on the fretboard wood (god bless my fiancee ;) ) - I'm certainly not discounting my oddness in this issue.
  15. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    The only part about stripes that bother me is that if you have really nice wood on the wings, you usually dont get enough of it.

Scratch that.. theres two problems. The other one is that the neck woods become too much of an aesthetic quality... so it often changes the sound when you need to match the woods up.

Oh.. and I really dont think that when people decide on which neck woods they went they really analyze how much its going to affect the sound.

In short, I like, but theyre minorly problematic.
  16. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Must have stripes. Contrasting stripes the best, like maple with purpleheart stringers. Those modern Rics without the stripe make me a little sad.
  17. I think it depends on how their used, but for the most part, I like them.

there are ofcourse occasions when they dont work, but that doesn't make me dislike them as a whole
  18. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    IMO stripes are fine on the back or if the body wood is of the plain variety, but if you're going to put a nice figured wood face on the front it should cover the whole front. For example, if you look at Carvin's Anniversary model, I don't like the look with the nice quilted wings cut off from each other by the neck thru blank (they have an un-documented option for a fully covered front rather than seeing the stripes, but since it's undocumented, few people ask for it...) On the other hand, I LOVE JT's 8 stringed Fretless and Fretted pair that continuted the neck through stripes on the fretboard too, but the body wood on that is rather bland (in a good way) and matches well with the stripes (and the effect on the fretboard is cool).
  19. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Love em'....right out in front!

20. I like them on the back of the neck & usually dislike them when visible from the front, but there are exceptions to nearly all of my *rules*. :rolleyes: