Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck thru vs. bolt on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmann, Jan 19, 2001.

1. bassmann

bassmann

Mar 18, 2000
    Is there an advantage having a neck thru bass rather than
    a bolt on and is it worth spending the extra money on a
    neck thru?

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    Neck thru basses generally have more sustain and stronger fundamentals (less overtones) than bolt on basses. Bolt on basses have more punch.

One is not better than the other. They are just different.

Chuck

3. Chuck pretty much nailed it.

Some other things, being an owner of both. Nice, smooth neck heel on neck-thru as opposed to the block on most bolt-on's...but do you really play up there much anyway?? :D Also, bolt-on's are easily replaceable, and in some cases (Fender) interchangeable (ie: fretless neck, P to a Jazz neck/body and vice versa combos).

Dan's MP3 site...have a listen :)
    http://www.mp3.com/entrylevel

4. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Frankly,the argument that neck through construction gives more sustain is kind of a moot point for me.Not that it's not true,it's just that all the bolt on basses i spend time with and own have all the sustain I will ever need...

5. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I agree that the difference between neck through and bolt-on has more to do with personal taste than anything else. I don't even bother to care whether a bass is a neck through or bolt on any more.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes - there must have been at least 20 debates on this - if you look through the forums or do a search. It usually comes down to personal preference and the fact that a better quality bass is a better quality bass whether it's neck-through or bolt-on. Like a Sadowsky bolt-on is going to be better than a $300 neck-though bass. You usually get what you pay for, although it does cost more to make a bass neck-though than bolt-on which is an easier and therefore cheaper process to automate.

And then we have the debates that say one has more sustain and the counter-debates where people say - well why do you need all that sustain - you're just going to have trouble muting strings that resonate sympathetically all the time.....etc.