neck-thru Vs. bolt on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ratgeek, Apr 16, 2003.

1. ratgeek

Oct 5, 2002
  2. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    It really depends on what type of sound you're looking for. While the differences are not enormous, most people usually associate a little bit more sustain with a neck-though and a little more punchiness with a bolt-on. Dan Lenard has two identical Stambaugh basses (same wood cut from the same slabs, same electronics, same strings, setup, etc.), known as "the twins", that were built to demonstrate the differences between the these two options...everything is the same except that one is bolt and one is neck-through. I've played them a couple of times, and while there is a small difference, I'm not sure that it would really push me towards one bass and away from another. Further, unless you're playing for an audience of the most discerning bass players ever, nobody is going to notice. Pick the one you like that that best suits your personal style and tone.

But remember....if something goes wrong with the neck, one bass can be saved where the other probably can't.
  3. ratgeek

Oct 5, 2002
    but what about action is there a difference or is it about the same
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It doesn't make a difference regarding action, assuming that they're both well built.
  5. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    About the only thing that changes the action either way is the quality of the bass and how much attention to detail and QC the builder had. The difference in sound really is not very noticable, though bolt ons do have the rep of being more puncy, which is why many slapper basses have bolt on (Jazz Bass, Stingray)
  6. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    n that case

i will go for the neck thru

not because of the neck joint

is because the wood

i prefer anithing towards basswood :s
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've also played them several times. One is now sold.

Here's a picture:

...and the back:
  8. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I just got my first (well technically 2nd) neck-thru. Its a Schecter Stiletto Elite-4. All I've owned otherwise is bolt-on with the exception of a Carvin LB75P that I had for like a week which was neck-thru. I guess I could say that the differences to me were 1) The neck-thru "feels" better to me. More solid I guess you could say 2) Not a "better" tone, but a different tone. I can't say if they have more sustain, but you really get a sense that the bass is resonating "as one" (if that makes any sense)

One isn't really better than the other, but I prefer neck-thru totally now. But I just prefer the feel more than anything. Oh its especially easier to hit the higher notes because of the smooth neck heel.
  9. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    If it was a choice for one over the other, I'd go with the bolt-on due to that low-mid punch you don't have with the neck-thru, which will keep you from getting lost in a mix. If you are some kind of mad soloist, get the neck-thru.
  10. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    My neck-through has low-mid-punch out the wazoo.

And, yeah, neck-throughs are only for "mad soloists". Like all those wankers that play Rickenbackers. . . .and Yamaha BBs. . .:rolleyes:
  11. which one is sold? that should answer our question... ;)
  12. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I believe it was the bolt-on that sold. It was listed on Dan's site for $2,100.
  13. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My experience has been just the opposite. Bolt-on necks generally have a higher harmonic content, giving more definition to each note, but neck-through basses have more fundamental content, which, IMO, is consistent with the low-mids.
  14. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think this is the "dead horse" thread. BUT...let's keep beating it anyway!...shall we?!

two words.....PERSONAL PREFERENCE! :D

neither is truly better than the other.