Neck Tilt on Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaffabass, Jun 15, 2002.

1. jaffabass

Mar 28, 2002
    A quick question of a rather nerdy nature. I tried a used Fender P today in a shop which, despite a rather low but easily sorted out action, sounded great with plenty of bump and looked cool too.

I noticed an extra hole in the neck plate on the back with an allen headed bolt in it which the guy in the shop said was a neck tilt adjustment. I assume this is to do away with need for shims. Anyway, I was wondering if these neck tilt adjusters were notorious for causing any problems with neck joint stability. I notice the new Fenders don't have them; did they get rid of it because it undermined the neck joint?

Slightly dull topic I know, but any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
  2. If Im not mistaken, these microtilt necks were in 70's basses, only jazzes, I think. They had the 3 bolt necks, as do the 75 Reissues, but Im not sure if the reissues have the microtilt.

I actually know very little about this, anything I know is from reading online.
  3. Early '80s Precisions had 4-bolt neck joints with Microtilt adjustment and are not known for stability problems.

The neck stability issues for which '70s Js and Strats are notorious stem from the 3-bolt joint, not the Microtilt. The necks tended to sag toward the floor.
  4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Also, the two Peavey basses I've owned have been both bolt-on and both had neck tilt adjustment. I don't know if they still utilize this feature.