Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck to Body Stiffness Q:

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bass2x, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    I bought a set of boomer strings and decided to do a complete setup on my G&L Tribute L2000. I used the Fender seup and Gary Willis info pages for reference. Overall, the setup procedure turned out well. Still getting used to the bigger diameter strings, but they sound great and the action is better since the trussrod and saddle adjustments.

Q: I noticed that if I hold the headstorck in my left hand and the body with my right and pull the bass towards my body I can visible see the gap between the fretboard and strings change. Is this normal? Seems it should be stiffer than that... I tightened the neck to body bolts, but no change. I wonder if this flex will become worse as time goes on... this can't be good for maintaining accurate tuning. Does your axe flex?

2. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Check out Billy Sheehan - He does that live and in recordings, he does it to the extent that I thought he was using a tremelo! Also I've got a Mark King bass solo where he finishes leaving a chord ringing, and spins around whilst bending the neck to give it like a slight tremelo. I can't do it on my Traben because the strings are too low, but I can do it on my fretless.

3. All necks do this. That's the bass's portion of the balance between the neck stiffness, string tension, and trussrod tension. Without the trussrod, the neck woods would be flexible and even with the trussrods, the neck is flexible. If it weren't, you wouldn't be able to adjust it. For that matter, you probably wouldn't be able to get it just right in the course of it's making because we use the fact that it's got some flexibility to make it play correctly.

4. Bass2x

Bass2x

Jul 25, 2005
    SoNJ
    I'm not sure I understand that, but it's reassuring to know that my new bass isn't defective.