Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck Trouble with Ibanez SR800

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Suzstaind_bass, Mar 8, 2001.

1. Suzstaind_bass

Suzstaind_bass

Apr 6, 2000
    Hey there. I'm having trouble with the neck on my bass guitar, which is an Ibanez Soundgear SR800. During the summer I accidently left it in my car overnight and that's how I believe it bowed up a little bit. What its doing now is that I have to press down on a string for it to sound half-way decent, and it shouldn't be like that. When I bought the bass from the used gear corner @ Mars Music it played perfectly; after I left it in my car it didn't play right ever since. The electronics on it sound as good as I bought it, it's just the neck. I wonder if the 4 screws on the back of it will help any if I turn them. Is there any way I can fix this or do I have to take it to a shop for them to fix it? I'm not exactly a bass mechanic but I can probably fix it if I knew what to do. If you can help me, please reply!!!!!!!!

Also, if you're curious about my set-up, I'm running the Ibanez SR800 with Ernie Ball superslinky strings, a Hartke Kickback 12 and a DOD Bass30 effects processor, all connected with Diaddario (sp?) wires.

2. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    those four screws you're referring to are the ones that attaches the neck to the body. what you want is to adjust the truss rod. on an ibanez, it is adjustable using an allen wrench. the nut is behind the little plastic cover on the head stock. i'm not sure which way you'd turn the nut to tighten or to loosen the truss rod, & i can't remembr if you'd need to tighten of loosen it. someone else may be of more help.

3. my suggestion would be to take it somewhere it shouldn't cost that much, I once screwed up my bass real bad messing with the truss rod. if it plays like crap just get it fixed.

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Theres your problem! Put some REAL strings on there, and youre set! ;) :D