Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck trouble?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by patrickroberts, Mar 4, 2001.

1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    I bought my first bass, which i have still got, a year ago from a second had shop. I was cleaning the fretboard today...and the neck was losse....but the crews weren't....should i go and see the shop owner..bearing in my it was a year ago...or should i tighten the screws anyway..or should i get a new bass?

2. might as well take it to the shop and see what they say. probally cost you about $35 tops, which is a little cheaper that a new bass.

3. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    cheers, mate...what would they do to it? i mean i hacve already tried to tighten the neck!

4. The problem you are describing isn't uncommon with basses that have a neck pocket that is larger than the neck itself. I've heard of several cures for this but the easiest is the metal screen method:

The idea is to increase the friction between the neck and the pocket. Find a small piece of metal door screen. Cut it to fit your pocket, just inside the edges and lay the piece in the bottom. Re-assemble your neck to the body and tighten the screws as usual. The screen will imbed itself in both the neck and the body and make it nearly impossible to shift.

Hope this helps.

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    That was the first thing that went through my mind too, Hambone. I've almost decided to put a piece of screen wire in the neck pocket of my bass the next time the neck is off.

I've never quite understood why the powers that be chose such an inherently weak joint for such a high stress application. A dowel joint with the dowels glued into the neck and the body drilled with pilot holes would be much more resistant to lateral movement of the neck. It seems as though this type of neck joint would more closely approximate a neck through or a set neck joint because of the increased wood to wood contct area.

There really is no reason why any number of splined, or keyed joints wouldn't be a better joint than the "flat lap" that's commonly used.

Even a well done biscuit joint would usually be an improvement.

If I was designing a bass I believe that is one of the areas that I would look at very closely. I believe that the neck joint may be the answer to a lot of questions about dead spots and lots of other gremlins.

Oh well, just food for thought. Pkr2

6. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'm in the process of building a bass and the neck pocket design has been of great concern.

i've even thought of dovetailing the pocket/neck for more contact area and stability.

fred

7. My Fender Stu Hamm model has the other kind of instability, it moves up and down, not lateraly. When I'm tuning (w/ a tuner, not by ear), pressure up or down significantly affects the tuning. The needle dips or rises big time. Is there anything to do about this?

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Ekim, if the screws are tight on your neck, that is most likely a problem with the stiffness of the neck(or rather, the lack thereof), not the stability of the neck joint. My Ibanez 6 is the same way. I can bend it a semitone flat or sharp with just a little effort.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

$$$

10. For someone with really weak ears (such as myself) how can I tell how bad the problem is and if it needs repair (or god forbid, if it's beyond repair)??? I'd rather not take it to a shop if I can help it.