Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck troubles

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by stanger503, Nov 20, 2003.

1. hi...i just got my new bass about two weeks ago. it was great and everything except some buzzing around the d string on the 2nd and 3rd frets. so today i tried to adjust the truss rod.....unfortuntaely i made it worse. now almost teh whole string buzzs. i put everything back where it was and man was the action high..when i tried to adjust the action it started to buzz on all the strings all over!!!. please help here!!! :bassist:

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Do a web search on "bass setup" at Google. I think there is a setup forum here on TB.

Buzz at the 2nd and 3rd fret means you have not enough relief. If you have enough relief and they still buzz, they may be high frets that need to be leveled.

3. thank you. maybe there will be some more posts. also what do you mean by relief...im sorry i just dont know. well thank you any way.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I hope I don't sound snarky when I say that if you did a web search on "bass setup" on Google, you would find directions on how to set up your bass that would include a description of what relief is. It's the amount of curvature in the neck induced by string tension.