Neck Types, hope this belongs here

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Zjarrett, Sep 29, 2000.

1. Zjarrett

Sep 17, 2000
    Ok so after some questing and searching high and low ive finally decided to purchase a new stingray5 =) colors will be blond and the tortoise pickguard most likely (I like that combo personally). Now this is really superficial but what is the difference in sounds between necks? i have a feeling that a darker neck like rosewood wood look better but i know that maple is more funk/ska friendly which is what im interested in playing....i dont want to sacrifice sound for style really but when you think about it appearence is important too so if someone could just list some necks, their colors, personal experiences, style best for, etc id be greatful.
    Thanks in advance i hope
  2. reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    You could call musicians friend ( I dont know their number but you could get it at the site. they told me what necks give brighter sounds and what not. so just call them and go to customer service and ask, the people there are pretty cool and they relate to musicians a lot.
  3. It's pretty simple really - harder neck woods (fretboards) are brighter sounding. Rosewood is fairly soft as fretboards go, so will have a warmer sound than maple which is much harder. Pao Ferro (translated as "iron wood") has become popular for fretboards and is on the bright side also but it is a darker colored hardwood.
  4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Ernie Ball uses pretty nice wood for their maple fretboards. This is totally subjective, but I think most maple fretboards look better than rosewood (I like the sound better too). I also think a maple fretboard will make your tortoise pickguard stand out more. Finally, a maple fretboard will help give your low B-string a little more definition and clarity. Go for the maple board :) .