Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck width @ nut: Fender Jazz vs Yamaha 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rockin John, May 25, 2001.

1. Will someone please be kind enough to measure the fingerboard width at the nut for:-

Fender Jazz?

Yamaha 4 string?

I understand Yam 4 strings all use the same neck profile. If I'm wrong then please would you say the width and the model in question.

Thanks V much.

Rockin John

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    all 4's profiles are NOT the same. Fender Jazz usually has a 1.5" @ Nut.. like the PBass has a 1.65" or something close to that. I know carvin 4's have like 1 17/32 or something, which is a bit more than 1.5". Like ibanez having less than 1.5 (or so i think) :) Yamaha, I'm not really sure, I thought the Attitude (Billy Sheehan) had a PBass width.

good luck

DM

3. Thanks DarkMazda.

I've not seriously had a play on a J, and I've never played the Yam BBN4III (which is the only one I can afford, new), so I'm trying to get a feel for how the necks on each might play.

Yeh, obviously, I'm gonna have to get to the shop and try 'em but I'd like to get some opinion. Either way, and the sound of each apart, both are certain to be better than my Squier Affinity P.

Rockin John

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Rockin John. Narrow necks might be comfy to play, but I advise you to look for a wider neck with a "Flatter" Profile. Flatter as in "Depth" of the neck. Narrow necks might be easier to "Grab" by the neck etc.. but when your playing, it will be alot more comfortable on a wider, flatter neck. Just because your hand is small doesn't mean u can't play a wide neck bass. I, myself have a small pair of hands (Asian) and I play a Warwick SSI 5 string, and I think I'm handling it pretty well. The Peavey Cirrus, which is a terrific bass, has a very flat neck profile but not pretty thin(width) but its the most comfortable neck I've ever played on any bass. So I'm just asking you to try some basses that might have wide necks but a flat profile. Don't look for just "Narrow" ness in a neck. Look for the depth of it also. I know that Ibanez basses has some narrow necks but they don't really have a "flat" profile. The neck on those Ibanez basses are more "round" than flat. I was in the same position as you were when I first started out bass (1.5 years ago lol) I had a Squier P-Bass, which has the usual PBass width @ nut. I tried a Fender MIM Jazz after that and I was suprised by the "Narrow"ness of the Neck which made it easier for my hands to play. But after playing some "Flat neck" basses (Peavey Cirrus, Modulus Quantum), I've noticed that "Flat-wider necks" are much more comfier in the end, playing a "Narrow-round" necks. Good Luck!! :D

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Oh yes, another thing. Have you ever tried the Yamaha RBX760? I've tried it and I Loved it! I tried one at Guitar Center putting through a SWR Working man 12 Combo amp. Oh my god, I just wanted that bass for myself! It was $499 brand new. Look in to that if you don't need to spend that much money for a brand new, great bass!

Good luck again!

DM:D

6. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Never done any measurement, but to me, Yamaha RBXs and TRBs feel wider than Fender Jazzes at the nut, except for the Attitude, which feels to me like a J at the nut and turns into a P as you go up the neck. The older BBs from the 80s and early 90s had skinny J-like necks, but I don't know if they've updated the profile since then.