Neck wood combo's wenge/ebony vs. wenge/wenge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kris pung, May 1, 2004.

1. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I'm spec'ing out my next custom built bass and was wondering what fello TB'ers that was the best neck wood combo. I'm going for growly aggressive tone with plenty of mid-range to cut though the mix. Thanks in advanced and please state why you like a certain neck wood combo.
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    IMO, you'd have to struggle to hear much difference...

I have a wenge neck with an ebony board on my Jerzy, but that's because it was made that way. ;)
  3. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Like I have never tried a wenge/ebony neck but my main bass is wenge/wenge and it is great. I really like the feel of the wenge, and the bass sounds good, how much of that is the neck I don't know, but it sounds great.
  4. Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Growly and agressive, eh? I think your best bet is with wenge/wenge. I have it on two of my basses and indeed they growl. Also, nothing beats the feeling of a wenge fingerboard.
  5. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks guys for the advice I've never felt a wenge FB but would like to. Is there any other wood combo I should cosider (bubinga/wenge, etc.). Side note what soild body wood would work best to compliment the neck; bubinga, walnut, paduk, etc.
  6. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003

The same wood for neck and fretboard seems to really work.