1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck wood length question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jerry J, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I have been buying wood to have a bass built. I've got some very nice top wood sets and quite a few really killer fingerboard pieces.

One of the things that I want is a flamed maple neck. I've seen several really nice examples but wasn't sure on the dimensions.

What would be the ideal dimensions for a bolt-on neck and for a neck-thru configuration? This would be for a 34" scale and most likely a 5-string with the typical "Fender-type" spacing.

2. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
    4/4 or 8/4 depending on bolton with scarf joint or neck through. 3 1/2" about 46 for NT and 3 1/4 by 38 for bolton with scarf.

3. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thank you for the dimensions, T2W. Would that length allow for the headstock, too? Assuming a standard type headstock.

thclem, thank you for the link. I wish that they had photos of the specific pieces of wood. I assume that the "2nd grade" would not have as much figure? Or would there be other reasons for that grading?

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Ihave never bought second grade of anything from LMI so I don't know. I always but the standard neck blanks. These

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpr...k+Woods&NameProdHeader=Rock+Maple+Neck+Blanks

I don't know how figured the ones you are looking at are. The standard neck blanks are wid enough so you can make a true 1 piece neck from them You don't have to glue ears on the headstocks..........

Good luck with the project. Also the curly necks don't mention if they are 1/4 sawn or not I would ask them......t