Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck&wood questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dreadhead, Aug 14, 2002.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello guyz! I was checking eBay and I've found lots of nicest pieces of wood. I've found spalted maple and redwood... how they sound like as body woods? What about the Oak?
    I've ordered a Stewmac neck, made for thru-body construction. The fingerboard have a 9° degree... what bridge should I use for it?
    I've just received Melvin's book and I'm sooooooo excited!

Thanx thanx thanx!:D

2. Well, redwood and spalted maple have been known to make some killer top woods. I have also seen figured oak used as well. I haven't seen these woods used for an entire body, but that doesn't really mean anything.

As for a bridge, there are a lot of options. ABM and Hipshot make very good bridges. Gotoh are good as well, and Kahlers are available through warmoth. It is a really individual thing. I would personally try to snag a Kahler, but that is just me.

Geoff

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Last I heard, Warmoth didn't have any Kahlers left. Has this changed?

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Maple sounds like maple, spalted possibly slightly less trebly. Oak has a reputation of sounding "tinny", as body wood.
    Any of those are OK as top.

Bridges: find out the distance between the body top and the extension of the fingerboared top, at the scale length line. Then find a bridge that is that hight or less in its bottom position. Well, find a few, and then choose.