Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Necks for Koa

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by digidealaybb404, Nov 9, 2005.

1. i was wondering because i am planning for a custom right now, and want to get a flamed koa top. so i was wondering what kind of neck look and sound good with koa. also i was thinking about mohagany body should i do diffrent.

2. WillCO

WillCO An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure.

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I had a Koa infatuation for a while and had a bass made with all Koa - neck and body. I think the Koa neck was a mistake. Something harder - maple, maybe wenge - would have complemented the warmth of the Koa body with a little brightness.

3. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Wenge, or Paduk.

4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

check out www.warmoth.com. :D

i have a kao neck on my bass and it is very stable ...

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    wenge and bubinga...

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    wenge fingerboard

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have a solid koa body bass with a BO graphite neck that I like a lot.

My Peavey DynaBass Unity, which is all Koa except for some purpleheart NT stringers, appears stable enough and is very lightweight. It's undergoing a resto at the moment.

8. Wenge and Koa are a great combo!

9. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Dealing just with just the one aspect of tone the body wood is much more important than the top. Alembic claims the top has no impact on tone and Fodera says that using rotten spongy wood tops won't hurt the tone because it's such a miniscule part of the equation. That said koa is often compared to mahogany tonally, strong mids, focused range.

As for the looks my tastes like simplicity around a fancy top, I don't like the rest of the bass trying to compete for attention with a fancy top so I'd stay away from anything too wild. A matching koa headstock can be real nice also.

10. alright i have decided i will probly use a wenge finger board with bubinga neck.

now another deal is the electonics. i want the same kind that warrior uses with the narrow pick up and big fat one, but cant find which ones they are.

11. Here's what my koa bass looks like with a fretless ebony fingerboard and maple neck:

[​IMG][/IMG]

And here it is with a goncalo alves neck and pau ferro fretboard:

[​IMG][/IMG]

I prefer the maple/ebony combo for both appearance and tone. The brightness of that combination seems to work well with the body, which is all koa. The goncalo neck is hard to adjust, possibly due to the hardness of the wood.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I read this as another opportunity to show off my koa-topped mahogany bass. I got the ebony fretboard, and it sounds superb. In fact, you should just order up one of Roger's 25th Anniversary basses, if there are any left.

13. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Like this one.

[​IMG]

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Mahogany core wood with an Ebony is my vote.

15. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Here's my all koa Jazz. I originally put it together in '84 with a '70 all maple Fender Tele neck (it was my second bass built out of my first) and DiMarzio's. I never really cared for the sound of it (it was way too growly for me) so when I resurrected the Tele I wanted something different. I finally went with a Warmoth padauk/ebony board Jazz neck. Padauk is a warmer sounding wood than maple and looks very similar to koa. I like it much better - though it'll still growl it has warmed up, and the mids don't sound honky. Currently running a pair of Aero's and I am very pleased with both the sound and the look.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I've played one of those Peavey neck-thrus, all koa with two purpleheart stringers. I'd agree- it was nice and light, but still a good stiff neck.

17. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx
    My Yancey 6 has a walnut body with a koa top and an ash/wenge neck with a ziricote board and it sounds awesome.

18. anyhelp with the pickups and electronics

19. bump for the :help:

20. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    What pickups do you like?
    You do know that everyone will their own opinion?
    Which makes it all subjective anyway, right?
    What type of bass will it be?
    Fender-ish, Alembicish, ect?
    Do you like dark, middy or bright?
    Is it to be active or passive?
    Do you you want one,two or three pickups?
    Who is making El bass?
    If not you what does the builder usually use?