Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Necks. or, the infernalty of them

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Brendan, Oct 17, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I am incredibly upset. Well, not really, but I do not like what I have found, and you already know. I fell in love w/ my first bass, an Ibanez GSR200, and since then, no neck seems to feel "right" even another GRS200. I mean, I like my neck, and though machine pressed and made, it's still the only neck I dig (cept for a conklin 7, but that doesn't count) and I can't find another 4 string I like. The only 6 I like was some Warwick thumb bolt on, but that doesn't cound either. I just can;t seem to find another 4 string I like, even when taking into account that no two necks are the same, and that different basses feel different. Anyone else have this problem? It really is irritating...

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Most players would love to find a neck they liked that much!
    Why change? :)

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I had this type of problem a few years ago - I had given up bass for quite a while, concentrating on playing and programming keyboards/drum machines. When I started playing again about 3-4 years ago, I couldn't find any neck that suited me - they were all too narrow and thick (front-to back). I soon discovered that the only necks that felt right were 6-string basses, although I had only played 4s in the past.

4. I have a 38" scale, a 41 1/2"' and a 43" scale upright bass two are D necks and one is a Eb neck. Two fender "P" basses two Carvin 5 strings one Conklin 7 string and a 32' scale headless bass. All are easy to play I guess neck size dosn't bother me thank God.