Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Necks twisting without finish? Watmoth...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jock, May 24, 2003.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    How likely is it that a Warmoth maple neck will twist if it´s only oiled and not hardfinished?

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    In my experience, It's not very likely. I have a couple of basses with Warmoth necks. Both are around 5 years old, and I finished them myself with tung oil. I've had absolutely no problems, and I've never heard of any warping or twisting issues from other Warmoth players.

Warping and twisting in a bass neck is most likely the fuction of bad luck, sub-par construction, and green wood. I've often thought some companies used less than desirable hardwood, but Warmoth doesn't. Their build quality is also excellent.

The Warmoth guarantee is void if you don't use a hard finish, so there is a little bit of a gamble if you don't.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've had a few Warmoths with non-finished necks & I never had a problem with any of them. Granted, I had the basses in question for about 2 years so I can't really tell you long term effect of the neck.

4. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Given the right conditions any neck can warp if it is subjected to extreme environments, (except my Modulus) like the kind you could experiance if you are touring and moving from climate to climate . Necks and body's alike respond to theese things no matter how they are finished. just take care to feed the wood the right amount of humidity where the keep it stored and thats all you can do on your part.

5. I just had a situation where an unfinished bubinga fingerboard was causing some adjustment problems. The back of the neck was finished with a hard polyurethane. I applied a tung oil finish to the fingerboard, and the neck stabilized nicely. Oil finishes do as good a job of locking out moisture as hard finishes, IMHO. The fact that the finish itself isnt as hard as urethane or polyester could make a slight difference. I have seen evidence that those finshes add a small amount of rigidity, especially polyester, since it is far harder than either oil or polyurethane. Of course, the actual thickness of a hard finish... blah blah. I think you'll be fine with the oil.

6. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    An example of a fine luthier and purveyor of hilarious signatures!

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks a lot. This is just the info I was looking for.