1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Necks - Warmoth vs. Allparts vs. Might Mite

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SanDiegoHarry, Oct 2, 2008.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I have several basses made of Warmoth parts, and I have to say I've never really liked their necks. They all see a bit clunky and never have dressed frets...

Now, I've never owned a bass with an allparts or mighty mite neck... but I do have a guitar with a allparts neck that I REALLY like...

Anyone have any input on aftermarket fender neck makers?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I've played an AllParts, and they are great, and the Mighty Mite stuff is also quite awesome!

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I have a Mighty Mite P neck on my Jazz, gotta say I love it, price was fantastic, rolled fingerboard, frets were perfect, satin finish, fit the Fender pocket like a glove.

4. Allparts. You can usually find them on ebay already finished and with a nut.

5. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    so I'm not alone in my disenchantment with Warmoth necks?

6. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    I have a Mighty Mite J-Bass neck on my Ironclad (The one I built), and I am very pleased with the performance

7. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I'm interested in this as well. Another maker...
    www.usacustomguitars.com
    should be added to this list of aftermarket makers. I don't have any experience with them but many good things have been said about them.

8. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    SX necks are almost free, but to my understanding they need a lot of fretwork.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    mighty mite makes good stuff ...

10. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    I have an Allparts and it hasnt failed me yet! Straight as an arrow and no buzz that i dont want =]

11. thesteve

thesteve

May 28, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    I'm always surprised at the rave reviews for Mighty Mite I see here on TB. A friend of mine picked up a Mighty Mite neck for a Stratocaster and the fretwork was terrible. It felt like they slapped the frets on, cut them and never bothered with beveling or polishing them.

12. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    hmmmm - mass production - depends on the day/the dude doing it... I've seen AWFUL brand new fenders before, just as I've seen really nice ones

13. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    California
    I had, in the past, always liked Warmoth necks. But I am on a quest for lighter stuff these days. Warmoth put those steel bars in the necks and they are heavier than the others. I never had an issue with necks as far as workmanship. If i wanted the neck thinner, I would just shave it down.....in fact Warmoth necks are fantastic to play on. I am interested in more input on the other necks mentioned as I would like to get one soon......peace, John

G RICH 5 likes this.
  14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    My Mighty Mite is like it's set up like a master, and I didn't touch it, just bolted it on, 10 mins after taking it out of its box.

15. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    i am intersted in this aswell since i am looking for a new neck for my p bass

16. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Mind if I ask why you're looking for a new neck?

17. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    i am going to build a bass but i dont have much money so i am just going to mod this one part by part, and the next thing in my list is the neck. i want a smaller neck with less nut spacing.

18. therex

therex

Jun 24, 2007
    lima
    hast anyone compared this necks?

19. RedemptionBass

RedemptionBass

Dec 12, 2007
    Crystal Lake, IL
    Head (and only) Honcho at Redemption Bass
    IMHO, Mighty Mite can either be a fantastic deal or a stinking turd of a neck. Over the years, I've probably picked up/used about 7. 5 were totally rad and 2 were useless. I have one now that goes all bendy with .110's and the truss just won't go far enough to compensate.

AllParts stuff has always been nice.

I picked up one of those Eden necks from Ebay a while back and for like, $50 I ended up with a pretty nice neck after just a little work. AND it has a 1.75" nut width.