Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

necks??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ashton, Jun 20, 2001.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well i am making a 6 string lead guitar to a 5 string bass and its fretless to make sure i have proper notation(not really but itll work, wont it)so does anyone have any tips on what to do with the neck, i think ill just use a sanding machine to sand down the existing rosewood fretboard and get some maple to make the new fretboard.
    thanks
    Lukas

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No offense, Ash, but the one question I have is, WHY? Just seems to me that you'll have to go to a lot of trouble to end up with something that probably won't be a very good bass. Just MHO.

3. what?? exactly why the hell are you doing this??

your gonna **** up a perfectly good guitar to make a 5 string bass!!!!!!!

it won't work mate, firstly there is the issue of scale length, i'm no guitar expert but my guitar's scale is about 10 " shorter than my 5 bass

a good 5 has at least a 35", mines a 36"

therefore you'll have little tension on the strings, even if you do string it up light, you'll be playing with floppy strings that hit every fret

intonation with be out, ****, sorry if anyone finds this to be a crazy post, but what an idea.

so we managed to point out some problems, oh yeah how are you gonna get the B E or A through the eye of the machine head??, how many winds are you gonna get on it

now to the fret board, do you know how long it would take to sand off a rosewood fretboard??, then replace it with maple, apart from the fact that you won't be able to get the neck flat with the exsposed route and apply the board evenly, you'll have a lot of gaps fill and a board with no sustain

my apologies you'r gonna make it fretless, a maple fretless??, umm i'd think about that one

look mate, i'm not trying to be patronising here( even though i am), it's just we get a lot of this sort of talk and the best advice is to save up some money and buy a bass, if it was really that easy, and effective, don't you think we'd all do it??? $hit, JT would have 8 string strats, instead of those beats, ( they'd be a bit lighter and easier to carry)

your only a young guy, so i can sort of understand how and where you got an idea like this from, but consider what i say and what others say, and before anyone starts bagging what i've said, think it through

4. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    Basically what he said.....it's a good idea and all, but by the time you get done with everything and all that shiznit....well.....it's already been said. Just think it over and.....well....that's been said as well..... I guess it's your discretion from here! ;)

5. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well it was fretless and i will change the brige and neck nuts and stuff to accompany for the strings, i only need a short scale not somethin huge.
    later
    Lukas

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, it's your choice, dude, but I'd strongly suggest you rethink this. Trust your bass-playing brothers on this: by all odds, you're going to expend a lot of time and maybe a fair amount of money, and what you'll end up with will be a barely playable mess that will likely sound awful. IMO you'd be far better off buying a Carvin 5 string kit for < $400 or picking up a used 5 somewhere.

7. What's your final scale length going to be? With a guitar neck you'll be pretty well limited to something under 30" in which case where are you going to get strings? Its an interesting idea which is full of complications which may not all be solvable. If you're serious I'm sure you'll learn a lot. Personally I'd use Warmoth parts.

8. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    hi
    well i changed my mind and im just gonna put a maple board on the guitar and keep it the same six string, refrett it and all.
    thanks
    Lukas