Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

necks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by larry griffith, Feb 24, 2002.

1. hello all,
    1st time writer here,I have two basses with large necks,(it's like grabbing a 4x4).and one with a considerably smaller neck.is it possible to "shave" the necks at all or would that compromise the strength?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I prefer a thicker neck. I've known folks with hand problems and helped relieve these probs by have the neck 'thickened' by putting a shim under the fingerboard, raising it an 1/8 of an inch or better. It takes a lot less energy, because of leverage, to squeeze the string down (although we try not to do that, right?) and a thicker neck also makes the transition up over the body into thumb position a bit easier.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Me too. I thought the neck on my present bass was too thick when I first got it, and considered
    having it thinned down. But I stuck with it, and now it feels perfect, while other basses often feel a bit spindly. Play some basses with thinner necks bfore you decide to get a shave.

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Yeah, I'd advise against this. Don't get me wrong, I love my Juzek (what a sound it has!), but if I could change anything it would be the neck. It was a 5 stringer and has a thin and wide neck, and while I've gotten used to it, the more traditional V-shape is definitely more comfortable.

Monte