1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

necks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by larry griffith, Feb 24, 2002.

1. hello all,
    1st time writer here,I have two basses with large necks,(it's like grabbing a 4x4).and one with a considerably smaller neck.is it possible to "shave" the necks at all or would that compromise the strength?

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I prefer a thicker neck. I've known folks with hand problems and helped relieve these probs by have the neck 'thickened' by putting a shim under the fingerboard, raising it an 1/8 of an inch or better. It takes a lot less energy, because of leverage, to squeeze the string down (although we try not to do that, right?) and a thicker neck also makes the transition up over the body into thumb position a bit easier.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Me too. I thought the neck on my present bass was too thick when I first got it, and considered
    having it thinned down. But I stuck with it, and now it feels perfect, while other basses often feel a bit spindly. Play some basses with thinner necks bfore you decide to get a shave.

4. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    DFW Area, Tejas
    Yeah, I'd advise against this. Don't get me wrong, I love my Juzek (what a sound it has!), but if I could change anything it would be the neck. It was a 5 stringer and has a thin and wide neck, and while I've gotten used to it, the more traditional V-shape is definitely more comfortable.

Monte