1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

neckthru Neck to Wing transition pieces

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Linas, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Ok, just want to clear this up before i go and order my wood from larry. I got some bass plans from MIMF and im tweaking them to my liking and i just want to make sure that this wont be a problem. Should i have any problem using 2 1/4" wide pieces of ebony for a transition between the neck and the body wings. I want to do this purely for aesthetics, so it is a contrasting line between my maple neck and myrtle top. Also, will this effect the tone at all?

This is a horrible mockup, but this is what im getting at.
    bassmockup.

2. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I don't think that anyone could tell you definitively if or how the ebony would affect the tone, but I can't see any reason why you shouldn't do it.

3. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    it shouldnt be a problem and its not difficult to make either. you just have to compensate the size of the ebony strips in the whole wings design.

tonal effects? as Geoff said, its virtually impossible to find out. i doubt it would because its a minute piece of wood and its effect would also be minute. unless you really MUST find out and have the bass shipped to some lab for oscillation testing (which will never be accurate due to dozens of different factors), i wouldnt be bothered about it tonally.

otherwise, its a good idea and does look good a lot

4. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    I did that in my recent build, except I used 1/8" purpleheart. And to make it tougher the wings were cut at 6 degrees away from the top.
    I doubt there is any difference tonally, I tapped the wings which are a 4 piece sandwich, and tapped after the purple was glued on and no difference at all. And despite people poo-pooing laminates, the glue and wood has an unbelievable tap tone.
    Good luck,
    Dirk