Ned's Atomic Dustbin (90's UK band w. 2 bassists)- terminally groovy-best of

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Ned's Atomic Dustbin- an indie student fave band with 2 bassists- one played lead and chordal parts on a Rickenbacker, a bit like Peter Hook, the other played more conventional lines on a Musicman stingray- although he sometimes had lead lines too eg. the end of "kill your television".

I picked up this best of album for £5 (Mr.CD, Berwick St. London), and it brings back lots of memories from around 1991, when "kill your television" and "happy" came out.

also "intact" from the 2nd album and "stuck" from the 3rd and final album are highlights (21 tracks in all)

the dancey drum beat typical of UK indie bands from the early 90's (eg. Thousand yard stare, Wonderstuff) grates a bit though....

also found a fansite with mp3 downloads-
    (in "NAD music")
  2. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    My form tutor back when I was doing GCSEs was, as well as a science teacher, a part-time session guitarist. I remember him saying that he had played on some Ned's Atomic Dustbin stuff. I didn't ask for more info (didn't know much about music at the time).

Were NAB the sort of band to ever use session musicians?

Rick Wheal was my tutor's name.
  3. don't think so- at least for the first couple of albums.
    they sounded just the same live, also the guitar playing was pretty basic.
    they might have used a session guitarist on their last album, which seemed like a disaster all round in terms of production & video costs vs. the pitiful sales it achieved.
  4. One of the UK bands I listen to, Douglas, call them as one of their influences...I'll check it out.
  5. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I was about 11 when I first saw this band and they were the reason I first picked up a bass.
    Check out the upper bass parts on "Are you normal" for some deliciously simple but beatifully crafted melodies within some sweet popsongs. Fantastic use of a ric that pretty much carried a very average but totally likeable band. Most people identified them with their mates band who made some godawful racket in a pub. I think most peple grew out of them at around the same time as pints of snakebit and black. :hyper:
  6. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I've never grown out of snakebite & black! ;)