1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need 12" bass speakers - recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by braud357, Jun 25, 2014.

1. braud357

braud357

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I have a Peavey Basic 112 combo amp that I use occasionally - sometimes with a 1x12" extension cabinet. I would like to upgrade the speakers in both - can anyone suggest a quality replacement 12" bass speaker. Remember - these are single-speaker cabs with no tweeter or mid speaker - THANKS !

2. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I use Peavey Black Widow 1203's in my '67 big box Fender Bassman 2x12 cab with great results. :D

3. You can very likely upgrade significantly. In order to recommend a driver we need to know the internal volume of each cab and the dimensions of any porting. Keep in mind that sometimes it's best to just sell what you have and get what you really need. You may be able to gain 4-6 db of max spl, but will that be enough? Any tone goals?

4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    I would suggest buying better extension cabinet. Try to find a used or closeout Fender Rumble 112 cab.

5. The Basic 112 has a cab volume of about 1.6 cf, too small for the 2512 regardless of tuning. Several 10's will work well in this volume (including the 2510), but few 12's. One of the few 12's that will is the Dayton PA310-8 if the cab is appropriately tuned. Probably quite an improvement over the stock 'Blue Marvel' driver.

6. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That Dayton is a nice choice. Not too spendy and would allow you to use the cab(s) with a bigger amp if you wanted. A pair of those would make a good, compact gig rig.

Still need details on your cabs to see they're ported/tuned in a workable spot for it.

7. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    As far as I know, the Basic 112 was always sealed. Recently another forum member followed my recommendation to add acoustic stuffing since Peavey uses none, and now he really likes the combo. It's a cheap, easily reversible mod to try out before spending on something new. Quilt batting from the hobby store, or clean pillow fiberfill (got some useless pillows laying around?) will work. Don't pack it too tightly but fill it up, with a little airspace around the driver.

8. This is worth trying: inexpensive and reversible. Usually, if a sealed cab improves with stuffing (in contrast to minimal lining) it is because the Qtc is too high, causing strongly peaked upper bass and poor note definition. Unfortunately 'stuffing' usually takes a substantial amount of 'life' from the sound. Minimal lining of the cab and aperiodic tuning will accomplish lowering of the Qtc while largely maintaining a lively sound. The drivers used in such cabs are almost always unsuitable for use in ported enclosures (at least of reasonable size).

A sealed cab does not prevent conversion to ported. The best solution to an underdamped (high Qtc) sealed cab may well be an upgrade plan and a hole saw.

9. braud357

braud357

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    My Basic 112 is rear ported. You have started me to thinking - maybe these size cabs would do better with 10" speakers. I could make adapters !

10. If your intention is to get more spl from this rig I would stick with the Dayton PA310-8 (12 inch). If you are looking for more upper mids and HF (along with improved spl capability) then one of the 10's would be a good match. What the Dayton lacks relative to a few of the 10's is HF dispersion and energy. If highs are not overly important to you the Dayton is an excellent choice, regardless of price. You could add a tweeter, crossover and tweeter level control for about the same cost as one of the Daytons. For a tone with more aggressive upper mids consider the Eminence S2010 or DeltaLite 2510 II. For mildly aggressive upper mids, bass with surprising depth and authority and useful highs to about 6kHz consider the Beyma SM110. All good choices. IMO, the standout choice is a pair of Dayton 12's. Try them alone first. They do have treble, just not quite as much as a few of the 10's. If you decide you want more treble, you can add a tweeter. Even though the amp is only 75w (@4 ohms), you will have speaker capability well beyond that. You could drive the two cabs with something more powerful. With the Daytons you could safely drive them with an MB500 for example. A very nice 212 rig. If you will provide port dimensions (length and diameter) , and which driver you want, driver-specific tuning can be recommended.

11. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    From the Eminence site, their cabinet design document includes a small box for the 2512:

DeltaLite-II 2512 Small 1x12 Bass Guitar Cabinet
    By Jerry McNutt, Eminence Speaker LLC
    Displacement Limited to 175 Watts; F3 of 62 Hz.

Type: Vented Box
    Shape: Prism, square
    --Box Parameters--
    Vb = 1.38 cu.ft
    V(total) = 1.546 cu.ft
    Fb = 55 Hz
    QL = 7
    F3 = 62.15 Hz

They also have this, with a higher F3, but will handle bass boost (EQ) if the amp will boost the lowest frequencies:

KappaLite 3012HO Med Vented Cabinet
    By Jerry McNutt, Eminence Speaker LLC
    400 Watt Thermal Limit; F3 at 74Hz.

Type: Vented Box
    Shape: Prism, square
    --Box Parameters--
    Vb = 1.25 cu.ft
    V(total) = 1.489 cu.ft
    Fb = 65 Hz
    QL = 7
    F3 = 73.77 Hz

Both of these are very efficient. They also cost A LOT more than the Dayton.

12. Both are excellent drivers in the right box. That 1.38 cf box for the 2512 has a 3 db upper bass peak that will degrade note definition. Eminence offers an alignment at 2 1/4 cf with only 1 db of peaking and an F3 of 51 Hz. Peaking is minimal at 4.7 cf, with an F3 of 37 Hz. While the 2512 will 'work' in a small box, its capabilities are poorly utilized.

The 3012HO is well behaved in the 1 1/4 cf box, but has an F3 of 74 Hz. However, in a 2.2 cf box it has an F3 of 57 Hz with no peaking.

The 3012HO and 2512, like many efficient 12's will 'work' in small boxes, but are at their best in boxes of 2 cf or more.

OTOH, many 10's are at their optimum in boxes around 1.5 cf. For example, the S2010 in 1.6 cf, Fb 54 Hz has an F3 of 53 Hz and F5 of 49 Hz, and there is no peaking. The Beyma SM110N in 1.6 cf (Fb 49 Hz) has an F3 of 49 Hz and no peaking.

The PA310-8 is unusual for an efficient 12 in that it works well in 1.6 cf (Fb 55 Hz, has an F3 of 56 Hz with no peaking).

If a person is primarily concerned with power handling and maximum spl, and not so concerned about note definition and usable middle and deep bass then drivers like the 3012HO and 2412 may be good choices for use in a 1.6 cf box. If the cab(s) are not going to be used at really high power, and some significant improvement is bass extension and note definition are desired, then drivers like the S2010, the SM110/N and the PA310-8 may more effectively meet those needs.

13. If you have a Peavey Basic 112 that is ported, then you have a modified combo. Peavey only made 112's in sealed combo enclosures. I stuffed mine and took the fart out of it's lows. It can handle the low B now. Mine is the original 112 without an ext out jack for another speaker. The pre amp in this head is very good to my ear. You can always unhook the the Basic 112's cab's speaker (conveniently with electrical connectors to a 1/4" out and use it to feed down to a 4 ohm load (interior speaker is 8 ohm, but I've done this and it works).
    The Basic sounds great using the pre amp out into your favorite pedal into a power amp into any cab you choose. I thank Bob everyday I didn't sell it because I love the pre amp on this thing.
    fnord!

14. braud357

braud357

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    Sorry, but you are wrong ! The later-model Basic 112 combos are rear-ported from the factory. I friend of mine bought one new, and it is also rear-ported !

15. Hmm! New fangled Basic 112's, heh? What year Peavey Basic 112 is it? Could you point me to the new ported Model on Peavey.com? I'm using http://peavey.com/support/searchmanuals/archived.cfm?page=B.
    My main complaint against Peavey Basic 112 until stuffing my sealed cab was fart out which could wisely be tuned out by the manufacturer by porting… just have never seen one and to my knowledge the Basic 112 line has been discontinued for a while. Photos would help.
    fnord!

16. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    Lowactnsatsfctn likes this.