1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need 1x12 Cab Recommendation. Aguilar, Eden, Epifani, EA ect.. So many to choose from

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Apr 5, 2006.

1. My price range is $400.00. - Bassnw.com quoted me $389.00 for both the Eden and Aguilar 1x12's but I'm not sure if I want to limit myself to those two cabinets.

My main want is depth. I'm looking for something that will sound very, very Deep tone with a unique character, and all around great sound. From the searches I've done, many recommend the Aguilar for this, and I'm pretty much set to purchase that, but this is a last look before I do.

My head unit is an Eden WT-330 fwiw, and play a Fralin loaded Fender Jazz.

What do you recomend. If you have any comparitive info on any you have good experience with, please fill me in!

Thanks.

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I cant give you any input re: the Eden... but you just described an Aguilar GS112.

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You aren't going to find many others in that price range.

I've recently played a number of heads out of both of those cabs:

Eden112XLT - loud, lot's of mid range punch... really mid punchy, and that signature Eden treble response that some love and some hate.

Ag... many reviews on these... lot's of lows... kind of scooped sounding for me, much 'crisper' treble response.

4. rRght, thats what many people say as well.

One thing I'm thinking about though is this... The Eden's listed Freq response is actually lower then the Aguilar's.

Frequency response:
    Eden - 32Hz - 14KHz
    Aguilar - 42 Hz to 16 kHz

I know these aren't cut off points, rather roll of points, but wouldn't this make the Eden deeper?

What I need to do is a side by side, but I can't where I'm at. No dealers have these two to try side by side.

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

As many have posted, published roll off points really have very little to do with the actual sound of the cab. The AG definately has more 'deep' bottom than the Eden. IMO, that's not a good thing.... small cabs that have a lot of low extension tend to get very 'lost in the mix' in my experience. Since you are using an Eden head, they match up just wonderfully with the Eden cabs, and IMO that Eden will be much louder in the mix in a live situation.

6. Thanks dude!

By saying "lot's of lows" do you mean bass heavy (like turning up the bass EQ) - or - deep sounding, low end extention.

Alot of people make bass heavy = deep, but I don't.

Could you please elaborate.

Thanks much.

7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    If you want a really deep sounding 1x12, then I would search around for a used Epifani T-112 (NYC-112). You might be able to get one for close to that price. The ceramic driver version of that cab has a huge low end, the UL version only slightly less so (but also less likely to appear used in that price range, I would think).

Ken nailed the difference between the Eden and the Aguilar. For your stated preferences, I would think that the Aggie is the better route, but to be honest, I am not a huge fan of either of those two 1x12's.

The Bergantino HT112 actually has very good, "true" low end for a 1x12, but it's definitely not as big as the Epifani in the lows. Still, if you were to see an HT112 for under $400, I would think that it would be money well spent.

Hope this helps, Tom.

8. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Using your terminology, I hear 'deep' versus bass heavy in the Ag's. Actually, they are quite amazing for the low end they put out, but I had one quite a while ago and it just didn't push enough air to get those 'low lows' to pump out into the audience. Of course, many use two of them successfully for larger gigs to help with this issue.

TBer Vic has a couple of them, and also has an Eden head (a 330 I believe). He also just got a couple of small Eden110's, which to my ear are voiced similarly to the 112's. PM him and he might be able to give you more info on the comparison.

Good luck!

K

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I use an Eden WT-550 with a Bergantino HT112. Great combination. Yeah, there aren't earth shattering lows, but I let the PA do that.

For small, stand alone gigs I get plenty of low end.

I just saw a used one on TB a couple days ago...

10. thanks for the info man.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I was able to hear a Berg 112 this past weekend, & even ab'd it to my 2 GS112s.

Great sounding cabs. Tiny! Smaller than a GS112, which was surprizing to me. Seems to handle abuse well, but not what I would consider to be a "deep" sounding cab tho'.

But, as with smallish cabs, maybe that sounds deeper w/ two?

Either way, I think you can get either a Berg, Epi, Eden or Aggie for $400 .

12. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Kjung nailed it.
    We A/B cabs all the time at Low Down Sound and when we did the 112 shoot out (Eden, Aggie, Epi, LDS) the Aggie and Epi had the most "lows" with the LDS a VERY close third and the Eden sitting there with a more low mid sound.

Don't get me wrong, the Eden 12's sound stinkin great, but from what you described, either the Aggie or as Tom suggested a used Epifani 112.

IMO, Aggie ruined the single 12 market. They came out with their cab and everyone had to scramble to catch up.

But, do yourself a favor and give Low Down Sound a call. I played through some of his 112 cabs and they sound pretty damn good.
    And they are right in your price range. You may be able to sneak out with a UL/neo cab in that range as well.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Great suggestion, Mike! :)

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1... and Don can voice the cab based on the tone you are looking for. Nice stuff! There's a 12 down there now actually, but I haven't played through that one.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My experiences validate Tom's observations. The older Epi T-112 is the lowest (and largest) of the ones I have on hand. The HT112 and EX112 are good cabs, as are the EA Wizzy's. But the Epi has more low end. I prefer the Berg and EA cabs in combination; for stand-alone, I go with the Epi.

16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    If it's the same 12 that's been there since New Year's or longer, it's a used cab - so you could get it for really cheap. I can attest that Don builds a solid cabinet for a great price.

17. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I also play a Fralin-loaded Jazz, and I've been very happy with my GK Neo112, which conveys all the woody nuances of the J. It gets quite low, and its lows are solid, clear, and punchy. It sounds huge. I haven't tried the others mentioned, apart from a brief test of the Aguilar. My semi-informed view is that it has warmer, plusher lows than the GK, with a more vintage tonality and probably less clarity. (But since I didn't conduct an A/B comparison, I wouldn't swear to the clarity point.) I thought it was an excellent cab, but that the GK might be a better match for my 700RB-II.

18. Thanks for the info. I was affraid of just that. That I would hook up the Aggie and the lows would be too mushy for me.

As it is, I find my low E string to sound a little unclear. I think the problem might be the string gauge though. I'm running a 105 E. My A, D, and G sound clear as a bell, but my E always sounds un-defined. I'll try a 100, or even a 95.
    anyone w/ some info/help would be good.

Anyways, back to the cabs. I'm still stuck between Eden & Aguilar because of the un-clear low end issue. I'm scared I'll hate the Aguilar.

Aguilar users, does the low end, though big and fat, sound un-clear/un-defined? Or is it deep, but also tight?

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    like others' mentioned, seems like the GS112 is the cab for you.

FYI, i'm starting to find the GS112 to be a fun little cab, especially when paired w/ the AG500. i was at my local shop trying a fender jazz into an AG500/GS112, and loved the tones! the high and low mid knobs seem to voiced in all the right ways to bring out the best in the GS112 cab.

little OT, cool thing i found w/ the GS112/AG500 combo was using the "overdrive" channel, and setting the saturation to "0". by doing so, i could coax a cool psuedo tube like sound, i.e. lighter playing also let the sound breathe w/ a modern tube like sheen, while digging in, let the growliness show its fangs. pretty fun. almost like a deeper, more rich sounding Sansamp BADI kinda sound.

btw, also, i tried the Eden, and its nothing like what the published specs say it does. the aguilar sounded much deeper and fatter to my ears.

20. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    For $320 shipped you can get an SWR 2X12 (no horn) if that interests you at all.