Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need 4-Ohm 1x15 Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Aug 10, 2004.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I need a 4-Ohm 1x15 cabinet. I have a Peavey Bam 2x10 combo that sounds great on it's own, but I want to get the full 500 watts @ 2 Ohms.

There are not many choices of 4 Ohm 1x15 cabs out there.

Any suggestions?

Peavey has a Pro 2x10 cabinet 350 watts @ 4 Ohms, which would probably match up well, but I really want a 1x15 cab.

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    4 Ohm 115? Thats a tough one...
    IIRC, the Peavey Black Widow 15" speker is 4 Ohms, but I'm not sure.

What if you get an 8 Ohm? Much easier to find even used, as well, and having more than 2 Ohms load will strain your amp less

3. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Peavey Bam is a 4 Ohm combo, so I need another 4 ohm cab to get the full 500 watts. I don't want to run a mismatched load.

Also, I have a Trace Elliot V6 head that runs at 2 ohm and 4 ohm loads.

Being that I already have an Ampeg 4x10 4 Ohm cab, I don't want to start buying 8 Ohm cabs.

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
  5. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's an option. I have heard that the Avatar cabs are very inefficient, meaning they need a lot of power to perform well.

Also, 50 Hz on the low end might might not be enough. I will do a little research on these cabs.

Thanks for the response.

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    mismatched load? You'd get a mismatched load if you ran the amp at lower impedances than its rated at.
    With a 4 ohm and an 8 Ohm cab in parallel (daisy-chained) you'd get 2,667 Ohms.

And you can run amps with higher impedance loads as well, but you'll get less power then - but the amp will run cooler and be less strained then.

7. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Not exactly. An 8-ohm and a 4-ohm cab in parallel is a mismatched load. The "path of least resistance" theory applies, and the 4-ohm cab would get the lion's share of the power, likely making the 8-ohm cab harder to hear (depending on relative efficiency, of course).

Sincity's idea of two 4-ohm cabs in parallel is certainly a matched load; his power is divided equally between the cabs.

It is his responsibility, however to make sure the head he's using can handle continuous use with a nominal 2-ohm load.....

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The BAM is rated for a 2 ohm load.

9. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    The Bam combo will run at 2 Ohms no problem. But, I would not being doing myself a favor by running an 8 ohm & 4 ohm cabinet together. I would not be running efficiently and not getting all the juice out of the power section.

A 4 ohm cabinet is where I need to be.

10. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Embellisher,

You have the Bam combo. Have you run any 15" cabs underneath or anything besides a 4x10?

11. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    My first thought was grab a Peavey 410 TX, TXF, or TVX in 4 ohms. They are tuned really low. I had the TX and it just killed everything whithin a half mile with it's low end.

Then I saw that you already have a 4 ohm Ampeg 4x10.
    Have you tried that? How does/did it work?

If the Ampeg didn't go low enough for you, I still recommend the Peavey 4x10 over the 115, simply because you would retain a better overall sound, more clarity and definition while getting some really good lows. Besides, you'd have the same brand matched up, using identical drivers, and the cabs should look the same if you grab the right version. A good used Peavey shouldn't break the bank either.

12. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Honestly,

My Ampeg SVT 4x10 sounds awesome underneath. But, besides what I mentioned initially, I am also looking for easier portability and using the 15" as a stand alone with my other head.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No. Although when I get my Schroeder 1210, I will probably try it as an extension, just for grins.:D

14. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I suppose the 115 would easily weigh 20-25lbs less than a 410. Consider also a 212, better everall tone than a 115.
    Of course, a 115 will be the least expensive option. Maybe a 115BX in 4 ohm. I believe that was available.

15. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I checked Peavey's website for a 4 ohm 15" cab, but they only have 8 ohm versions.

I've got a question for you. What are Peavey's high end cabs?

Is it the Pro series of the Tour series? The Pro series seems to have higher specs, wattage etc.

16. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Why not checkAvatar They're having a sale thru the end of August. You just might save some money and the yhave 4 ohm 1x15 cabs :)

17. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut

Bigbeefdog had recommended Avatar earlier, and I am considering one of their cabs.

I am concerned about their efficiency rating. I don't want to have to throw gobs of power into the cabs for them to sound good.

I could be mistaken about the Avatars. If I am, then set me straight. Also, is 50 Hz deep enough for the occasion I use a 5 string?

18. bigbeefdog

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I have an 8-ohm Avatar 2x12; a slightly different beast than the one you're considering. But it doesn't seem to be as power-hungry as you fear. I dare say it seems relatively efficient.

19. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Yes... Avatar calls their speakers efficient, and I dont hear many Avatar users complain about their efficiency... although I'm sure you could do better.

I have a 4ohm 1x15 cabinet. Ampeg BXT115. 300W RMS. I'm putting 450W into it and it gives me my desired sound matched with the BXT410. It's quite efficient, I must say.... worthy of Wooten and Bailey's names. ;) And the "B-Series" title it holds seems quite misleading. I think the standard chain dealer price for one is about $650.

It's biggest potential flaw??? About 110lbs. :eek: It sucks for me, because I have it stacked underneath another cab and a rack... but it might not be the end of the world for you, since you have a BAM. However, it would be a challenge to get it into a vehicle single-handedly.

I think The Avatar or BXT would be your best two options.

20. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yeah I looked at the Ampeg BXT 115. I like the specs, but the weight is too much considering what I already haul around.

I always thought the BXT series looked like good cabinets, I really like how they designed the 210 BXT with the ability to tilt it back.