Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a 15" speaker for a Polytone Mini-Brute III

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by T. B. Player, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Does anyone know where I can find a 15" speaker for a 1980s Polytone MiniBrute III? No one will recone it since it's either a 2 or 3 ohm speaker, and I can't seem to find anyone who's willing to sell one. Got in touch with Polytone a while back, but can't seem to get anyone there now to help since "they don't make 'em like they used to!" The amp is still great...killer jazz amp for small rooms and practice situations - have killed two 4 ohm speakers in it already and don't want to do that again.

Or should I just sell it for parts..... :bawl:

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's exceedingly unlikely that the driver was 2 or 3 ohms. Even if that was the case using a 4 ohm driver would not be a problem; if you killed them their impedance was not the reason why. It's a simple matter to choose an appropriate driver based on the cabinet that it's in; you will have to provide its precise internal volume and the exact dimensions of the port, if it has one.

3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    The people at polytone (especially the woman who answers
    the phone) are hateful unfriendly people. Its sort of a local
    joke here in LA. The woman (receptionist) has been there
    for about 25 years. She's just as unhelpful now as she was
    then. Call back and press her to talk to a tech about what
    kind of speaker you could replace your's with. You really
    have to push them, but in a nice way. When my amp finally
    imploded, it took out the amp, preamp and speaker together.

4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2005
    Orange Park, Florida
    Polytone speakers are 3 ohms. I suggest calling Polytone. If you're nice to the lady on the phone she is usually nice back.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Weird, but no matter, a 4 ohm driver wouldn't make an appreciable difference. The impedance of a driver is not a constant figure, the average 4 ohm driver will present a load ranging anywhere from 3 to 50 ohms or so depending on frequency.