Need a 1x12 Cab (Aguilar, Eden, Raezer's Edge)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by robnatt, Jan 7, 2006.

1. robnatt

Sep 14, 2005
    I play a Pedulla Rapture 5 through Acoustic Image Clarus 1 R and Acoustic Image Focus SA power amp when needed. I play jazz to rock and am looking for the classic jazz bass tone, possibly a little more HiFi, but not modern or scooped.

I have been playing through an Ampeg BSE 410 HLF, but need something smaller for practice and smaller venues. I am leaning towards the Aguilar, since it is cheaper, Raezer's Edge Bass 12 600W in second place, and the Eden in third.

Let me know what you guys think.
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the aguilar GS112 is a bit scooped, unless you start to really push it to its limits, where the mids really start screaming out. still, its a nice sounding cab.

the Eden is a nice cab, but i found it a tad harsh, cause their tweeters are too much for me.

if you want a fat, thick, and yes, here it comes... "pillowy" sound that isnt too upfront or inyourface, the Accugroove Tri112 is a terrific cab. sounds much bigger than it is, yet has a neutral sound that doesnt overly color your sound.

another great one is EA's "Wizzy" cab. many describe it as an old school sound. i tend to agree, tho is does have again a neutral character that wont force itself upon your own bass' tone. its not quite the sonic hammer of the CXL112L, but again, another cool flavor to give a listen. also, its very light and easy to carry around.
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    +1 on the wizzy. I just picked up a Focus 1 SIII and have had the wizzy for a while. I'm finding the pair sounds great for electric. Thick, punchy, warm and clear all at the same time.
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

seems like the the best cabs can be totally contradictory... :p

but in the wizzy's case its totally true.
  5. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Both the 1210 and 1212 are not that much bigger or heavier in current ceramic magnet form and will be LIGHTER in neo form coming to your neighborhood theatre soon. Like around 32 to 37 pounds. Tonewise my 1210 is SWEET. It's not scooped sounding and I feel if you have some adjustability on your amp or guitar, like a mid frequency or boost cut, you should be able to get the cabinets sounding balanced "enough", but what you can count on is hearing yourself and others on stage and off hearing you without being at stadium volume.

I play with a 20 piece jazz big band, a nine piece "wedding" band that plays light jazz, latin, swing, rock, motown, disco, ballads, you name it and the tone is there. I have the 125 on my eq and the 250 boost on my guitar boosted about 60%. It's not barky, it's not nasally, it's just clear and punchy, at all volumes but even better at higher volumes. You could also consider a 12 mini or mini+ which in neo form is gonna weigh close to 20 pounds that I feel will likely get you more volume and lows with cleaner highs than the EA's...just an opinion on that one....haven't done the whizzy thang but have owned a CXL 112 vl208 and vl110's. There's little comparison as a standalone unit of any of these EA products compared to Schroeders.

Have fun, try out everything you can find, get what you think sounds best for your needs.

6. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if you like your ampeg sound the aguilar will fit right in.

give it a listen first.

I love all of my aguilars, all three!
  7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I have the Aguilar 112 and the GK Neo 112.

The GK fits what your looking for better I think than the Aguilar. (Not that the Aggie wouldnt do fine)

The GK is not scooped at all, its warm, really punchy, really nice low end definition, growly, a little edgy-better for rock IMHO-and definitly lighter than the Aguilar. Its my favorite if I'm going with just one iddy biddy cabinet. The Aguilar is a bit better for funk-since its more scooped.

I really think the GK neo series is the best kept secret out there at the moment.
  8. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I am not sure about availabiltiy of Raezer's cabs- he died recently, and folks seem to be holding on to them.
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wow!! Seven replies, and I am the first one with.....

Check out Avatar!!!

10. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    A link to a Yamaha combo. They also do a 15" combo version. Personally I think it's a bit high priced considering you can get the head only (bbt500h) for $530 at AMS.
    I use my bbt500h with one or two wizzy's. You can get your scooped, modern, hi-fi, and your classic jazz sounds. I could go on cause it's got more than those too.
    The wizzy's are excellent cabs. Light, <30 lbs., Squarish( no protruding hardware), and have a nice little handle at the bottom for tilting upwards.
    They have this 'transmission line' design that , from an engineering standpoint, makes it the bee's knee's.
    They're probably the smallest 112 cab out, dimensionally, and they handle a low B fine and there's no crossover/tweeter messing up the sound. What you put in is what you get out.
    A straight up combo is nice for one handed mobility.
    What about the Wizzy combo that EA offers?
  11. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I think you otta go w/ you instincts, If money is an Issue go Aguilar, sounds like you like the Raezor best, I'm and Eden fan and I'll leave it at that.
  12. go the eden!

but only your ears will tell u whats for you
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 My recommendations would be to try either a Wizzy or the Bergantino HT112. It has the combination of fullness and clarity of the Wizzy, but with the addition of one of the best tweeters (and crossovers) in the biz.

14. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I agree! :) Of course, our thoughts as to which cab wins this comparison do differ... :p

And of course I respect your opinion, Larry. Mine is just different, and we're both entitled to that.