Need a 1x15 Bass amp that sounds as good as this keyboard amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sweems, Apr 13, 2003.

1. sweems

Feb 13, 2003
    Benton, AR
    I played through a Peavey KB100 Keyboard amp tonight, (about 10 years old). I have a Grind 5. It didn't have a lot of tone but the thing went lower than a Bassman ten I played or any 1x15 amp I have played at any of the local stores. I want a 1x15 that will go low or a 1x18. Can anybody recomind a 1x15 or 18 that will go real low and not cost a furtune. Tone is not a real concern because I will be playing through the PA also but its not going to be for lows, just to be heard. Thanks for any help.

2. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Try the Peavey Combo 115, if you like the Peavey keyboard amp.

About 225 watts as configured, Black Widow 15-inch speaker, nice on-board compressor. Add another 4-ohm cab, and it will put out 300 watts.

I had one for a few years and really liked it.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Try active cabs.
    I use a pair of Behringer B300 as my bass rig, with a SanSamp for preamp.
    They're cheap, loud and do the job pretty well.
    Of course, they work perfectly for keyboards, voices and anything else too.

4. tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    holy cow. those things are 300watts. x2 is pretty impressive. do you plug your bass directly into them or do you have a splitter or breakout box? how are they with a low B string or a drop D tuning?
  5. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I use to use large combo amps (tko75 & tnt150)
    they were ok, but bulky and i wanted more tone.
    so now i made up my own combo.

Ampeg PB250 head
    hartke 2x10 transporter
    SWR workingmans 15

this "combo" gives me great flexability, and is easy to transport, i can use it in different "combo's"
    or all together. It has great tone
    the head has 4 different presets. plenty of snap with the 2x10, and lots of bottom with the swr.
    and it all fits in my car, so no more getting my gear bashed in while in the drummers van, and the rest of the band, cant use my gear to "sit on" while
    waiting to load in, or at sound check..:)
  6. Jazz Ad

I daisy chain them with XLR cables.

It's...loud :D. They go fine with a low D, the low B gets a little blurry at high volume, but it's nothing a little compression couldn't take care of.
    I really like versatility in this rig. I can go full stack like in this pic, or use either of them as a monitor, wedge, combo or full PA for the band.
  7. tyson

Feb 9, 2000
    Dallas, TX
    ah..i see... so, in your picture it looks like you have the SanSamp DI?
    $189 here:
    is that a good price?
    forgive my ignorance but if you're doing studio work or using the house PA only could you just use your SanSamp by itself? do headphones work when plugged into the 1/4" output?
    how's the durability and usefulness of the foot switch?
    i like your solution...kinda a different arrangement from the Bass-->Effects-->Bass Head--(1/4")-->Bass Combo arrangement...but maybe more versitile for gigging.
  8. Jazz Ad

The SanSamp can be used directly into a table or house PA.
    It's extremelly reliable. 189 is a little too much, you can probly find it around 160.
    This pedal is an absolute classic. Do a search and you'll reach a hundred threads about it.
  9. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    how does the sans sound, with no amp ?
    and what is the overdrive like ?:)
  10. Jazz Ad

It's a preamp so it's not different from any other rig in the end.
    Except that my power amp is in the cab.
    There are so many SanSamp threads in the effect section already, I really don't think I can add anything new. :)
  11. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN