1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need a 2nd cab - another GS112 or...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Andy S, Apr 24, 2010.

1. I'm using an EA Doubler with an Aguilar GS112 and keep being asked to turn it up! I'm guessing I need another cab.

Would it be ok to mix the cabs up - I'm thinking about a Wizzy 10 or similar - or should I get another GS112?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Is your Aggie 4 ohms or 8 ohms?

3. It's 8ohms.

4. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    So, your amp is rated at 550 at 4ohms and 310 at 8 ohms.

So, a 2nd 8 ohm cab would help. Another like the one you have would be a good sound and more speaker surface would likely create more presence.

But, a single 4 ohm cab would also be louder. How much is hard to say, you might look through the EA Doubler forum to see what people are using and swearing by. I think that Aggie cab comes in a 4 ohm version. You might be able to buy and sell or trade with someone if you want to stick with a single cab.

The rub with a 4 ohm cab for you is you won't be able to use it with a 2nd cab because your amp doesn't seem to be rating for loads heavier than 4 ohms.

So, one 4 ohm cab or two 8 ohm cabs are your choices. If you like the sound of the Aggie, stick with it. If you're not hearing something you'd like to, then there are certainly options.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I agree, If you like the GS112 (some folks don't) grab another and be done with it. I've run 3 of them back when I needed rediculous volume and have heard of people using four! btw, the GS112 only comes as an 8 ohm cab The GS212 comes as either an 8 or 4 ohm cab.
    fampic10a.

6. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    When I was faced with another cab purchase, I went with an additional GS112.

Here is what to consider: I like the sound of the single GS112, however, when I added the second cab, the sound was MUCH better. It really opened up. I like the GS112 in general, they are solid, have a great sound and travel easy. IMO, not only will you increase surface area and volume, your entire sound will be enhanced.

7. Thanks for the suggestions.

The EA Doubler goes down to 2 ohms I believe, so no real issue there. I'll try another GS112 which should sort out my volume issues!

I'm liking the one GS112 with my Fender Jazz, sounds great in fact - less sure with my Precision Deluxe, but still liking it. Hard to say with my upright - using a RS2 which I'm struggling get sounding good with anything!!

Thanks again - the replies have been useful.

8. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    I've got two GS112's. It's true, two used together sound much better than using only one. When I use only one, I need to fuss with EQ, no matter what bass instrument I'm using. That being said, I don't think it's the best cab choice for upright bass. Good luck!:)

9. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I had one for a while, loved the build quality and felt like I had a fine product, but ultimately didn't love it with my doublebass either. Might have been okay under different circumstances or for doubling, but that's not what I was doing.

I don't know a lot about what you're playing and where. I think adding a second cab like the on you have is a good idea. 2 Wizzy cabs would blow your mind, but that's a big investment and I'm not sure what sound you're going for.

But, we glossed over an entirely different direciton. You're not getting all of the available power out of that head because you're only running it at 8ohms. Your power and volume would go up to some degree with a single 4 ohm cab. A 1x12, a 2x10, a 4x10, whatever you like. If you'd rather not have 2 cabs or if you want a different sound than you get with your Aggie, then it's a consideration.

10. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    You could also change out the speaker in your Aggie with a 4ohm model, if you are so inclined to squeeze more power out of your amp.

The Delta-12LFC-12 Woofer, 4 ohm would work well. I think USA Speaker sells them for less than 100 bucks.

http://www.usspeaker.com/homepage.htm

11. Thanks again. On reflection, I'm wondering if I may be better with a Wizzy 12 or 10 for now and sell the Aguilar on.

As for the type of gigs I'm doing – I'm involved in a duo playing dinner jazz type stuff; a trio playing country (some slapping); and more recently a 12 piece function band playing swing/motown/anything else, where I double on bass guitar (where the volume is more obviously an issue!).

I'd be grateful for any other suggestions.

12. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    2 8ohm 112's would be much louder than 1 4ohm 112 of the same make and model.

OP - If you like the cabinet you already have, you'll love two of them. And if you amp can handle, you'll love three of them even more.

13. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    If you're doubling, then I'd suggest the Wizzy 12. I didn't like the Wizzy 10 with EB (but it did sound good with URB).

14. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Agreed. The Aguilars throw the sound pretty far, and they tend to be a lot louder when you step away from the cabinet. Which is why I am not huge on them for Double Bass(even though I use them). However, I think you can really balance the sound by matching it with a cabinet that has a stronger midrange. Maybe a Genz Benz Shuttle 10" cabinet or similar.