need a 38" flatwound string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sigurd, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Sigurd

Oct 27, 2004
    I have a Soundgear 5-string, 34" scale. I am in the middle of adding a four inch extension behind the nut on the B-string to drop to A. The reasons being that I like A, but the string gets too loose, and I also want the string to appear on the fingerboard like a B-string. Just think of one of those extensions that the double bass guys do. It's similar. I figure I need roughly 4 to 4 and a half inches extra (to be determined).

So I need a flatwound .130 gauge, 38" scale string. I have been reading a lot about the Chromes and how well they sound and it sounds like something I could use. But the largest scale they go is 36. If I go with that, how much silk will I have on the fingerboard?

I would also be open to another set that I can dig into, has punch and is relatively bright as long as it is a flatwound-5 set.

Thanks in advance.
  2. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    If you like the sound of Chromes, you could probably just burn or cut off the silk. I know I loved the Chromes I had on my SR 5'er.
  3. Sigurd

Oct 27, 2004
    I actually got this figured out the other day. I went to the store to get their last set of long Chromes 50-105 with the intention of special ordering the .132 superlong later. The guitar tech actually had a superlong and confirmed that there would be enough excess to not have silk on the fingerboard.