Need a 4 string. Overwhelmed with choices so I'm thinking aloud.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Systolic, Nov 15, 2017.

1. I've been a strictly 5 and 6 string player for years and with my preference of 35" scale and at least 18mm string spacing my choices have always been far more limited.

Now I'm looking at a 4 banger to keep in Eb/Drop C# and I don't know what to do with all the choices. Not terribly picky on body shape or neck shape on 4 strings. Just don't like giant bodies or giant necks nor do I love glossy necks. String spacing on 4's tend to be fairly standard so I'm fine there. The more tone shaping options the better, so I prefer active.

Tone Wise as long as it is clear and "aggressive" i'm good.
    Aggressive Jazz ala Geddy
    Aggressive P ala a lot of the Punk genre at large
    Aggressive PJ ala Robert DeLeo or Geezer
    Aggressive Humbuckers sure, I love that gnarly Wal tone in particular.

I play in a 90's cover band currently. Covering everything from metal to reggae inspired, but largely centered around the Alternative sub genre. I find that I can tame an aggressive tone monster more easily than I can make a polite bass bark and cut through two distorted guitars.

So here I sit with a couple of options and not sure which way to go:

G&L L2000
    G&L M2000
    G&L MJ4
    Sire M7
    The higher end Warwick Rockbass series Streamer or Corvette.
    Ibanez SR?
    Ibanez BTB?

Would love to stay under $700 new or used.

Any thoughts? I'm just kinda thinking out loud here.

2. Of those options I'd go with the G&Ls. The only Sire I ever played had a warped neck and the Ibanez basses I think sound bland, but that's just an opinion

Low84 and Ikkir like this.
  3. darwin-bass

darwin-bass Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Salem OR
    In your face aggressive tone? Skip the Jazz style basses.

SBMM Ray34
    L2000 Tribute

Be prepared for a heavy bass.

4. Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Go to GC dot com & put in SRX for a search. (the model name for SR eXtreme)
    There are many & some are even neck-thru (the SRX700). Oops, not seeing any 700s now...
    I've got the cheapest one they make & it sounds almost as good as my Ibanez Premium with Nordstrand Big Singles in it.

upload_2017-11-15_22-6-9.png

The SRX700 is about 9 lbs, but my SRX2 is only 8 lbs.
    G&Ls are about 10 lbs..

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    TolerancEJ and aproud1 like this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    My G&L L2000 and SB-2 made me forget about those other companies that make basses.
    I still like to see pics of the other basses people post, though.
    By the way, this weighs a mere 7.2 lbs.
    1510435944996.jpg

Trabeen and Dec1975 like this.
  7. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    Peavey T40

8. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    SW Connecticut
    Personally used a BTB for years and that was an aggressive bass. With a touch of OD, the thing would cut through like a knife. Don't let the looks fool you, it can snarl.

9. G&L SB-2

10. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Stingray baby, stingray.

DirtDog likes this.
  11. Well FWIW, I think the G&L MJ4 is not a "standard" jazz style bass by any means. Every clip I've heard of that thing is pretty in your face.

Well the Ray's are single pickup basses, and I'll need a two pickup bass to move towards a general "P" tone for a lot of the punk stuff we do.

I'm ok with heavier basses, it can't be as bad as my old Peavey Grind 6 that was a hair over 16lbs.

12. Not familiar with these. Will look into them for sure.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. As much as I love the SB2 tone the lack of tone control really kills it's versatility and I can't deal with that single coil hum on that J pup.

14. Had '79 T40 for quite a while. Giant heavy thing with a monster tone. I do regret selling it for sure. Didn't love the neck though.

15. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Never had any hum on mine, but I've heard some do. I was thinking of adding tone control to mine, stacked like on some of the Japanese models.
    My L2000 is my number one right now, though, and I've never owned anything quite like it. The SB-2 is a very nice backup, though.

16. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Of your listed choices I'd go for the L2K.

17. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    the L2k can give you some gibson flavor, fender flavor, and some musicman flavor, but it's going to make your other basses seem pretty polite by comparison

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    NE ND
    Get a used G&L L2000. Done.

19. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    Another vote for the G&L L2000. Had one and only moved it on to get the L2500. Mine was not particularly heavy compared to other basses (noted the comment above,) and the weight they do have is well balanced. They also have a great sound.

20. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    you said aggressive 4 times in your post. I'm thinking stingray....

DirtDog and n1as like this.