1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a 4ohm 2x10 or 1x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wyleeboxer, Apr 10, 2006.

1. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Ok, I need a small 4ohm cab to get the most out of my early 90's SWR 350 red face, the full 350 watts @4ohm. I just got a 6 string bass and with the low B Im thinking that my setup, after some testing at home (the 350 @ 225watts into a 8ohm 2x10 avatar kappa pro), is not able to project the B without some breakup or clipping the amp at higher volumes. Normally its fine with any of my 4 string basses, but this is my 1st B string bass and I see how they can really push your amp to the limits. Im using this setup in a funk band with a drummer, keys, guitar, and will be adding more instruments as we get our set more and more together.

So, Ive got another matching avatar cab and a 2000rb head but I would rather make use of the lighter SWR head and one small cab for inside medium venues. I'd like to get an avatar 1x12 delta 4ohm or another 2x10 in a 4ohm version, which is best for a low B? My other option is that I have an old ADA bassline 2x10 cab that I could replace the speakers with 2 8ohm speakers for a 4ohm cab, but what Im wondering is that the cab may not be tuned for this? Although its a pretty solid built cab. I dont have the money for iamp 800 combo yet, so Im trying to keep the cost/weight down a bit until I can afford a full upgrade, but still would like to get the most out of my SWR for now.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    An 8ohm Avatar 1x12 would be a great match for your 8ohm Avatar 2x10 kappa pro. The two together would result in a 4 ohm load, which would take full advantage of your SWR350. The 1x12 when paired with your 2x10 should give you a great low B.

3. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks xgabriel. I agree that would sound great, but Im trying to keep it down to 1 small apx. 50lb cab. I tried my 2 2x10 kappa's together and that would work fine also.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

While the cab isn't exactly small, the Avatar 2x12 neo is about 50lbs, and will handle the low B like a champ. Most 2x10 cabs just can't handle the low B good enough by themselves.

Also, a lot of people seem to think the SWR 12 pack is a great little cab. Its currently on sale for $320 shipped at zzounds.com, samedaymusic.com, and americanmusical.om

http://www.americanmusical.com/item...oogle-_-SearchEngine-_-Feed-_-SWR 4471200 010

You can get the Avatar b212 in a 4 or 8 ohm configuration, but the SWR 12 pack only comes in 8 ohms I think.

5. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Avatar 2x12 will really bring life to that low B

6. sent you a PM ;)

7. wyleeboxer

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    Thanks for some the info guys. The BRX from Carvin looks interesting enough? Still up in the $500 range which is a good deal but dont have the cash yet. The Santa Ana Carvin shop is about 10 minuts away, so maybe Ill check it out!

8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Go play through the Carvin,that's the best way to see if it might work.I've had a couple Avatar 112s and while they are loud and do the B string allright I wouldn't want to use just one at a gig.They work well at practice by themselves but at gigs they work better in a pair or with another 210 so you don't have to push them so much.My Eden 210XLT works fine at most gigs but it's heavy like your Avatars,the Carvin might be a good solution.