Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a 5/slappers take on the Berg HT112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I'm surprised at the number of favorable reviews of the lil' Bergies, but wonder how well the bullet tweeter performs compared to larger tweeters or horns used by other manufacturers, or compared to the horn in the HT115 or HT210. (Both of which I use)

I know the bullet tweeter in the HT112 is crossed over at higher frequency than say a, larger horn, and I'm wondering if that makes the slap sound a litttle thinner or less "in your face" .

Second question would be, given the freq response 45hz-18khz I think, is that taking too much away from the fundamental of the B string?

I've heard that it's ported in such a way that brings out the harmonic of the B, but not so much the fundamental.

Any of you guys have any feedback on this?

Incidentally, Thanks to Tom Bowlus for the Mini Cab Combo Shootout.
    Well done and thanks so much for helping out your fellow bassists.

2. Jim Bergantino has told me he pays more for the tweeter than the 12". from my experience, it is one of the best HF components available.

i think your expectations for low B performance will determine your satisfaction with an HT-112. for example, i play a 4, but the cabinet more than handled the bass knob all the way up on both my instrument and my preamp at a good volume.

i won't use that setting a full gig volume, but it was pretty loud, nevertheless. there won't be any 31Hz fundamental from the B, but very few rigs actually come close to reproducing that, anyway. with an HT, you won't be filling the room with deep, full bass. but you will be heard.

robb.

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I used to play 5s through my HT112s and I thought they sounded fine but I wasn't looking for real huge low end rumble, in fact I like the HT112's very tight and defined low end.

I am not a slapper, but a guy I now who is a total slap monkey used it one night at a jam session and was bugging his eyes out...really, really punchy without any harshness.

4. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    I would not stress about the frequency numbers on Bergantinos. The fact is the low end is super tight, for sure. It's really dramatic. The low notes are so clear, not muddy. Don't know how that translates to a specification. I don't own a HT112, but I own a EX112 (no tweeter) for upright and an HT210 for electric or upright. I tried the HT112 in the store and the tweeter was great. You cannot go wring with Bergi. I A/B'd them against everything in the store (a dedicated high-end bass store at that) for hours on several trips before I traded in my SWR set-up, and I loved my SWR gear. Now that I have gigged with my rig for several months I can say it continues to make me happy.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    The HT112 sounds great for slap, especially when paired up with an EX112. As has been mentioned, the Bergie tweeter is one of the best in the industry. Sweet, to say the least. I never use my HT112 by itself anymore but I seem to recall it sounded very good on the low B when used alone. Surprisingly good, in fact.

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I really like the sound of hte tweeter in the HT112, myself, though I have not heard the tweets on the larger Bergs to compare. With regard to the B string, I honestly haven't tried just one HT112, but my HT112/EX112 combo handles the low B very well for cabs of their size, and while the low end is not as earth-shaking or gut-wrenching as you might get with bigger cabs, it is nice and tight, and quite useable.

Disclaimer: I am not a slapper. Well, not on bass, at least... much....

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have a pair of HT112's, and think they are very nice for slap, or anything else for that matter. Very focused cabs!!!
    The high frequency mojo that Jim Bergantino has is amazing. I also have a HT212 & HT310 that have a very smooth high end :cool:

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    The HT112 is excellent for slapping and is almost as fast as a Goliath Jr, but with a sweeter tweet. I have the HT/EX pair and I think if you're going to do alot of slapping you'd best invest in two HT's....I think you lose a smidge of the high end with the EX running. The HT is really a tremendously sweet sounding cab and if you like the SWR cabs (which I do for slapping) you won't be disappointed in the wicked high end of the Bergs. It's SWR-ish but not so dry and hissy, just better all the way around.

Handles the low notes fine, more of a tight sound than a deep sound which works well for fast and quickly articulated playing.

Will

9. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Thanks everyone for your input!