Need a 5 st set with no silk on ball end

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by funkmuffin, Aug 31, 2004.

1. funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    Basically like the subject says. My bass came with boomers (too zingy), so I bought some Rotos, but they've got silk on the ball ends, and the B ends up with silk on the saddle, which almost entirely kills the piezo on the string that needs it most. They're also a little short for my 35" scale.

So... I need a good brand that comes in 45, 65, 85, 105, 130 gauge that'll be good for my 5.

I've played Blue Steels on my 4 for like 6 years, and I love 'em, but can't find the right size at the local GC or Sam Ash. Also wanted to try something different on the 5.

Give me some ideas, tell me what you like.
  2. D'addrio's have no silk on the string what so ever, try those.
  3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Ernie Ball's got no silk, either. Available in nickel roundwond and nickel-plated stainlesss roundwound, whatever size you prefer.
  4. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I don't think any DRs have silk at the ends. Great strings...I swear by them. :bassist:
  5. jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    And SIT strings too. I just put on a set of Hi Beams today for the first time, and they sound good! (Hopefully they'll last as long as they cost however...haha..)
  6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep, that's what I use. 45,65,80,105,130 from memory.

I don't like the silky bits either but for a different reason. The silk doesn't react very well to string boiling. If you knew how expensive strings are in Austr, you'd boil em too............