1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need a 5 string but can't play anything but a P !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crocau, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Hi ! I just came back from the local music store, I was shopping for a 5 string bass. I can't find any bass I like as much as my old fender precision 82. I even don't like the feeling of a fender jazz. Any advise ? Is there any 5 string fender precision existing ?

2. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
  3. Heres a link to one. I played one at my local store that sounded great.

5 string P-Bass

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Roger Sadowsky just started making a P 5 string, i would highly reccomend checking one out. :)

5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Supporting Member

Why not get another P-Bass and string it B-E-A-D?

Dan K.

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A five-string P-bass is probably not going to have the same neck as your four-string P-bass... the same is true for a five-string J-bass. So, when you switch to 5-string, select your fiver for tone, not as a match for your four-string P-bass.

That said, the Fender five-string Precision is nice. Mike Lull makes a nice P5, but it's significantly more expensive than Fender (it's also 35" scale). As noted, Roger Sadowsky also makes a P5, but that one is significantly more expensive than the Lull. Good luck!

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    The Lull P5 is a fantastic deal. Much less than the J style...

8. And then, if you want something a bit different but with a P-bass feel and impeccable passive P-bass tone, Mike Tobias has been known to make a great alder bodied MTD P-5:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

All in all, though, the Sadowsky vintage P-5 is the cream of the crop if you love your Fender Precisions.

Aloha,

Jonathan

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    +1

10. If you can go with the Sadowsky you won't regret it...

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

12. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I didn't know Mike did anything different than the typical 435, 535s with soapbar pickups. That's cool. I almost asked if he'd do a P/J five string but figured he wouldn't.

13. I don't know if this will help, but I think one reason I like the way my P bass plays is the 20 fret neck. Plucking up near the neck feels so different compared with 24 fretted necks. I like both, but you might consider this point when comparing basses.

14. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The best bass players in the world use a P-Bass, why switch now??

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's a great bass, Jonathan. Is that one of your myriad number of MTD's? Of all the collections I've seen, yours is one of the two I covet.
    :D

16. I play with a section of horns and I hate Eb chords (that tend to come often with horn arrangments ! The fifth string can really make a difference.

The options you recommended are great, yet really expensive ! Is there any cheaper, yet decent option available (sorry, no Aria). Maybe that Fender p 5 string, but I have never seen any.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I like the Fender 5-string. The playability is comfortable for me, and it has good tone. I don't care for the bridge pickup, but I tend not to like bridge pickups regardless of brand or model.

18. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

IIRC, someone on TB has a really nice CAR Fender P5 for sale. Check Classified. Been a while back since it was listed, but I got a private e-mail back from him just a bit ago and was still for sale the first of this week.

I just can't remember who it was.

Come to think of it, it might have been on another Bass Classified site. But I know there's at least one used out there FS. In the $800-900 range.

dcr

19. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I know your stated preference for P type, but have you tried a wide 5 J? I was in the same boat... Loving my P, needing a five for some country stuff, not a Jazz bass guy... Tried a Fender Jazz V and the neck was suitably beefy... After leaving the country band, continued playing the V, but when the neck blew back in August, (Long story... I bought the bass used and let's just say that it had not been lovingly cared for!), I went back to my P without a glance... Joined a horn band in November and really missed the low Eb... Put on a Warmoth neck, and now I'm not much interested in playing anything else...

-robert