Need a 5 string but can't play anything but a P !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by crocau, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Hi ! I just came back from the local music store, I was shopping for a 5 string bass. I can't find any bass I like as much as my old fender precision 82. I even don't like the feeling of a fender jazz. Any advise ? Is there any 5 string fender precision existing ?
  2. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
  3. Heres a link to one. I played one at my local store that sounded great.

5 string P-Bass

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Roger Sadowsky just started making a P 5 string, i would highly reccomend checking one out. :)
  5. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Why not get another P-Bass and string it B-E-A-D?

Dan K.
  6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

A five-string P-bass is probably not going to have the same neck as your four-string P-bass... the same is true for a five-string J-bass. So, when you switch to 5-string, select your fiver for tone, not as a match for your four-string P-bass.

That said, the Fender five-string Precision is nice. Mike Lull makes a nice P5, but it's significantly more expensive than Fender (it's also 35" scale). As noted, Roger Sadowsky also makes a P5, but that one is significantly more expensive than the Lull. Good luck!
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    The Lull P5 is a fantastic deal. Much less than the J style...
  8. And then, if you want something a bit different but with a P-bass feel and impeccable passive P-bass tone, Mike Tobias has been known to make a great alder bodied MTD P-5:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

All in all, though, the Sadowsky vintage P-5 is the cream of the crop if you love your Fender Precisions.

9. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound

10. If you can go with the Sadowsky you won't regret it...

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

12. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    I didn't know Mike did anything different than the typical 435, 535s with soapbar pickups. That's cool. I almost asked if he'd do a P/J five string but figured he wouldn't.
  13. I don't know if this will help, but I think one reason I like the way my P bass plays is the 20 fret neck. Plucking up near the neck feels so different compared with 24 fretted necks. I like both, but you might consider this point when comparing basses.
  14. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    The best bass players in the world use a P-Bass, why switch now??
  15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's a great bass, Jonathan. Is that one of your myriad number of MTD's? Of all the collections I've seen, yours is one of the two I covet.
  16. I play with a section of horns and I hate Eb chords (that tend to come often with horn arrangments ! The fifth string can really make a difference.

The options you recommended are great, yet really expensive ! Is there any cheaper, yet decent option available (sorry, no Aria). Maybe that Fender p 5 string, but I have never seen any.
  17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I like the Fender 5-string. The playability is comfortable for me, and it has good tone. I don't care for the bridge pickup, but I tend not to like bridge pickups regardless of brand or model.
  18. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

IIRC, someone on TB has a really nice CAR Fender P5 for sale. Check Classified. Been a while back since it was listed, but I got a private e-mail back from him just a bit ago and was still for sale the first of this week.

I just can't remember who it was.

Come to think of it, it might have been on another Bass Classified site. But I know there's at least one used out there FS. In the $800-900 range.

19. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I know your stated preference for P type, but have you tried a wide 5 J? I was in the same boat... Loving my P, needing a five for some country stuff, not a Jazz bass guy... Tried a Fender Jazz V and the neck was suitably beefy... After leaving the country band, continued playing the V, but when the neck blew back in August, (Long story... I bought the bass used and let's just say that it had not been lovingly cared for!), I went back to my P without a glance... Joined a horn band in November and really missed the low Eb... Put on a Warmoth neck, and now I'm not much interested in playing anything else...