Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need a 5-String to Tide Me Over!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Mar 15, 2001.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have to send my Warwick Corvette Standard back for evaluation. I may have a slight twist in the neck. The people at Dana Goods said that they will check it out and put a new neck on if necessary under warranty. In the mean time, I've got to have a bass (I play twice a week). I was thinking of buying a 5-string and selling it after I get my guitar back. I'm anticipating 3-4 weeks with shipping. I'm looking for your opinions on a guitar that is relatively low cost, decent to play, and that will retain its value for resale later. Any suggestions?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Why not borrow or lease a bass?
    Perhaps the people at Dana Goods can help you out, or a friend.
    Even with a MM Stingray, which is the best choice in re-sell value (at least here in Germany), you'll loose at least 100-200$, perhaps more. And if you accidentally damage the bass, your calculation goes bust.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I looked @ your profile to see where you were from, but it wasen't there.

On option is (if you live in the States) buy a five from Sam Ash, in 2 weeks return it, go to Guitar Center, do the same. If your bass isn't back in the time, do it again, alternating stores. I say to alternate because if you return to much stuff (2 items @ Sam Ash with in a certin time period) they'll hit you with a restocking fee. This way, you're "renting" a bass for free!!!!

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great idea, Nino, that's what I was gonna suggest.

We have 4 GCs and 3 Mars in the DFW area, and before I plopped down the money for my Pedulla, I had considered playing musical basses with the 7 stores. Buying a bass that I couldn't really afford, and taking it back after 2 or 3 weeks, and rotating stores to keep from looking like I was abusing the 30 day return policy.

If anything, it would be a great way to demo several basses if you are trying to decide which one is the one.

5. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    Rick, Good to hear from you! Do you have any 4-strings around? You might tune BEAD until you get your bass back. Are you the only bass player in your church? I'm thinkin' Dean if you want minimum payout with maximum return. e-bay?

6. Hey Nino-Brown, I work not that far from the Limelight, I can't promise anything, but, I'll try to make it there. Ooops, now everyone knows where I am.

Mike J.

7. Rich Briere

Rich Briere

Jul 5, 2000
    Guys..not to rain on your "let's rip off the store" parade...but how would you like to be the folks who end up REALLY purchasing the gear that you were playing games with? Would you want it done to you? Just my 2 cents...but seems pretty lame to me.

Bass-ically Yours,
    Rich Briere

8. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Hey, Rich, haven't seen you in while. Mind if I borrow a Sunn 300 for a coupla weeks? ;)

And if you guys need a dress for the prom, just buy it about a week before (so as not to arouse suspicion) and return it a week after. Make sure you wear good dress shields though...

I glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is unethical. If you're trying out basses with the legitimate goal of purchasing one that's one thing, but to "borrow" a bass under the pretense of buying it is b*llsh!t.

Adding my cranky $.02 to Rich's.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I guess that I should have put smileys in my post.
    :rolleyes:@myself!

That was not meant seriously, and I guess that the sarcasm was not noticed. :oops:

10. Rich Briere

Rich Briere

Jul 5, 2000
    Thanks Emb........:^>) Being a relative newbie I probably should have checked your 2160 posts (yikes) before commenting.........I would have assumed then that you were, indeed, kidding. Sorry.

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB