Need a backup bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JayAmel, Aug 21, 2002.

1. OLP StingRay

3 vote(s)
  2. Cort Artisan NB4

3 vote(s)
  3. Ibanez SR700

5 vote(s)
  4. Another Status

3 vote(s)
  5. Other bass (please comment)

7 vote(s)
  1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

I want to buy a backup bass for my Status Energy 4. I need something with a comfortable neck, versatility, reliability and... low price, since I probably won't use it much. What would be your choice ?

Thanks in advance,

All the best,
  2. I voted for the stingray because I played one before and there not that bad compared to the EB MM ones. Just don't get it in natural, the body is made out of like 4 different pieces and it looks gross! :rolleyes:
  3. funkfish

funkfish Guest

Jun 20, 2002
    U.S., Princeton, NJ
    mim jbass or mia if you ccan afford it. theys is solid as a rock. a jbass can cover a ton of diffrent musics and all in all kick ass. just look at mine (2000 mia)!
  4. Get an Essex for about 100 or 200 bucks depending on what model you want, including shipping, then upgrade with a new preamp (like a J-retro if you get a jazz copy or U-retro for the precision copies) and a new bridge and you're set to go.
  5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Arent Status basses expensive?

I think its odd to put the Status next to the others.

I would recommend a P bass, or a G&L.

Either one used shouldnt be too expensive.

6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I should have specified "another Status used", sorry.

All the basses I listed, except the OLP which is far cheaper, are about the same price. And Ibanez SR700 or a Cort Artisan are around EUR 600, same price as I paid my Status.

All the best,
  7. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Personally, I like something small and easy to transport but still with decent sound.

Steinberger, Fleishman, Westone or some of the other headless models work fine.
  8. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Since it's obvious that the Status is your sound, and you like the vibe of it, I'd get another one. When I take my Warwick to a gig, my backup is another Warwick.
  9. I was about to recommend a P or a J, but then this post makes perfect sense. If you're at a gig or practice, and you have to switch basses for whatever reason, you don't have to touch the amp settings or anything, or worry about differences in the neck, electronics, etc. between the two.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, I like having a backup that has a different sound or vibe than my main instrument.
  11. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    MTD Heir.

For really cheap, I've heard good things about those Essex Js.
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Get thee to a used Fender Precis or Jazz!

After all, this bass will be your "insurance" - not a car spare tire you can replace in the next 50 miles.

Tech's everywhere know how to work on them, sound guys are familiar with EQ'ing them, and parts for them are universal. Status basses, IMO, are like wearing a tux and Fenders are like wearing Levi Strauss jeans......guess which one works in more situations???

Unlike a Ray, they aren't "one trick ponies." You can play Motown with either one and, the next night, you can play punk rock (if needed).

Another Status sounds cool.....BUT, isn't that what got you into this situation? And I thought you mentioned "inexpensive."
  13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think a used G&L L-2000 or L-2500 is a good choice for veratility and reliability. And they have a low used price.

14. I foyu like a Status sound - get a used one (I think Woodchuck suggested this first!)

If you're willing to get another type - MIM P of J. They are tough as old boots, reliable - get a good one and they sound good, and should be within your budget. Find out whether the P or J neck is more comfortable - they should both be versatile enough! Although the J may have a wider variety of tones!